Erewash at Easter

Gunna Do

Featured Posts

Anyone going up the Erewash on Good Friday? We've decided to give it a go, after all it is on our doorstep and needs to be explored. No we are not scared of going alone but health problems mean we may struggle. We've been told that the locks are badly maintained and hard work, in fact we've been told not to bother by some people! We're going anyway but some company would be nice.

I cycled along the towpath from Long Eaton to Moorbridge Lane (just short of Stanton) last week. Some locks have recently had new gates and the towpath has been tidied up. It's quite pleasant now so give it a go and have a nice trip.

If you have any specific queries I'll try to answer them or check them out.

Anyone going up the Erewash on Good Friday? We've decided to give it a go, after all it is on our doorstep and needs to be explored. No we are not scared of going alone but health problems mean we may struggle. We've been told that the locks are badly maintained and hard work, in fact we've been told not to bother by some people! We're going anyway but some company would be nice.

Hi Gunna Do, PM sent.

Kev.

We are at Stanton lock now if we see you we'll help at all if we can. Heading north.

Great canal btw - well worth the detour. Locks are not bad at all - bit of extra chew due to the anti vandal locks but apart from that nowt too difficult so far.

if you need to do any shopping theres a new asda about 2 minutes walk away from the lock at langley mill, much better than trying to stop at tesco in ilkeston! once you get to shipley lock the canal is quite rural. we should be at langley mill tomorrow working on Judith Ann, have a nice trip.

if you need to do any shopping theres a new asda about 2 minutes walk away from the lock at langley mill, much better than trying to stop at tesco in ilkeston! once you get to shipley lock the canal is quite rural. we should be at langley mill tomorrow working on Judith Ann, have a nice trip.

Handy to know cheers.....

Bit of an update - some of the locks have been a pain today BUT what a great little canal - there cannot be many places you can cruise on a hot Easter Monday and only see three other boats moving and very few moored boats.

I do think we could do with a few more boats up here though - the locals seem really pleased to see us.....

I do think we could do with a few more boats up here though - the locals seem really pleased to see us.....

I agree. Nice people.

If you get chance consider a walk up to the old Nottingham Canal between Cossall and Trowel. It's now a nature reserve but many interesting old features remain including stonework, winding hole and a disused arm (Robinet's Arm) which led to a coal mine of that name.

Edited by andywatson

Well we made it and thoroughly enjoyed it! As reported in some of the replies, some of the locks (especially the new gates) were hard work but generally they were OK. The bottom got a little too near the top on a couple of pounds north of Sandiacre for our 24" draft. Great welcome at Langley Mill and good company on the way back down. Many thanks to all who posted.