North West canal living

shortly

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

Very informative and friendly place this and after a bit of lurking I am posting for the first time - looking for help of course

My partner and me are planning on buying a boat in the next month or three but need a mooring, preferably residential, in Lancashire. Hopefully the boat (50ft plus) will have a mooring but if it doesn't do any forum members know of any good locations (or boats) in this area? Obvioulsy I have done some research but the views of the experienced are always better than the open eyes of the blind.

We hope to start a long term cruise later in the year and maybe pay up the mooring to reserve it until next year to live there.

Thanks for any advice

Lucille

It's the border between Lancashire and Cheshire. It's got a Lancashire post code, but the address states 'Cheshire'. I'm on the main line of the Bridgewater.

Nope, course you don't need a mooring before you post! There are people here who don't have moorings, either because they cruise continiously, have a trailable boat or don't have a boat yet..

Welcome to the forums, by the way :(

Not surprisingly I have been there already. Are you from a Lancashire mooring or Cheshire? If it is bad form to post until you get a mooring I apologise profusely

Hi Shortly.

It would help a lot if you gave us some sort of a clue where you are, or aim to be.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Liam I nearly bought a 70' with mooring a couple of years ago at Todmorden for only 30k but wasn't quite ready for it. Looking at current prices I made a mistake I think although that boat may have had a big hole in it for all I know cos I didn't get as far as a survey. seemed a good one and had a shed too! If i could find that today...

Prices have changed, but there was a right (what appeared to be a) bargain on Ebay the other day..

A 57 foot 1976 Harborough narrowboat. It had a new steel top, with a mixture of port holes and windows, it had also just been refitted and had an SR3 which they said was prone to over heating, so they were including a spare SR3 in the sale. It didn't mention hull condition, but for the price of a replate and the over all cost, I still class it as a bargain.

It was a 7 day listing, with a buy it now price of £12,000. It only lasted 6 hours.

:(

Currently I live in Bury. Redundancy beckons the household and this godsend forces the life change we have discussed for a long time. Anyway, abroad or England? As my partner hasn't passed his RYA yachmaster courses weare stuck with inland water so travelling the canals of England cannot be bettered.

Our first step is to find a boat with mooring, and if possible move onto it. It must be within an hour of Manchester by car if residential and preferably Lancashire or West Yorks.

In the future we would like to be in Lancashire - maybe on the Bury / Bolton when that wonderful residential mooring gets built!!

Currently I live in Bury. Redundancy beckons the household and this godsend forces the life change we have discussed for a long time. Anyway, abroad or England? As my partner hasn't passed his RYA yachmaster courses weare stuck with inland water so travelling the canals of England cannot be bettered.

Our first step is to find a boat with mooring, and if possible move onto it. It must be within an hour of Manchester by car if residential and preferably Lancashire or West Yorks.

In the future we would like to be in Lancashire - maybe on the Bury / Bolton when that wonderful residential mooring gets built!!

Hi Guys - I posted a thread a while back here

The mooring I am on has loads of space, is in a wonderful location and is very handily placed for motorway access etc. It's approx 55 mins to Manchester, 15 Minutes from Skipton, 20 mins to Burnley, 40 mins to Keighley & Leeds.

Drop me a line if you would like further details.

Cheers,

Nige

If the boat you buy's got a licence, then there are spots along the western reaches of the L&L around Burscough/Parbold where you simply turn up, and a few months later they'll send you a bill. It's pretty easy going up there. You can chat to Dave the lengthsman who's very accomodating.

Also, there's a new marina at Rufford (NOT Fettler's wharf, a.k.a HMP Rufford) where there's plenny 'o'space; it just having opened. Get there quick as once everything opens then it's expected to fill quickly. I've heard talk of £150 pcm for 60' which is very reasonable compared to ours in the centre of Brum.

White bear are quite accomodating if you turn up as well, don't bother trying to book as "waiting list" is the retort, however I've known 'em squeeze people on.

If you're bothered about Rufford PM me and I'll try and get hold of the number for you.

Good Luck!

................ new marina at Rufford (NOT Fettler's wharf, a.k.a HMP Rufford)................................

Hey Smelly, what do you know about Fettler's Wharf Marina?! I'm planning a move up there this summer for a year or so and would rather hear of any probems with the place before I move!

Noah