Claymoore to Middlewich stretch

geewalt1

Featured Posts

Can anyone advise on the Claymoore to Middlewich or Claymoore to Manchester stretch. We would like to know which would be best for a weekend break? ie. scenery, how busy it is, pubs on route with good beers etc etc. We are looking at a short break in early September.

Originally we were looking at the Llangollen but after reading a number of posts on here about how busy it is we're having second thoughts about using it for a short break.

Don't really wanting to be queuing at locks, especially when I think back to our on our first trip on a canal boat which was on the Rochdale last year. We hardly saw another boat let alone a queue at a lock.

Many thanks.

Edited by geewalt1

Personally I'd prefer to head towards Middlewich as its much more interesting cruisingwise and probably a bit more peaceful - you have one small stop lock, three tunnels, wonderful glimses of both the River Weaver and the Weaver Valley. You can also visit the Anderton boatlift (not sure if you're allowed on it and you're short on time really anyway) there are several (but not too many) pubs and they are mainly quiet and peaceful places.

If you go towards Manchester the scenery is still very nice until about Dunham, you definately have more choice of pubs (especially in Stockton Heath/Lymm and Sale) but at weekends these places are very busy with all that usually entails.

It depends what's most important to you really - I'd say Middlewich for peace and Manchester for pubs.

You won't really do any queuing in either direction - save for the timed tunnels which are nothing really.

Personally I'd prefer to head towards Middlewich as its much more interesting cruisingwise and probably a bit more peaceful - you have one small stop lock, three tunnels, wonderful glimses of both the River Weaver and the Weaver Valley. You can also visit the Anderton boatlift (not sure if you're allowed on it and you're short on time really anyway) there are several (but not too many) pubs and they are mainly quiet and peaceful places.

If you go towards Manchester the scenery is still very nice until about Dunham, you definately have more choice of pubs (especially in Stockton Heath/Lymm and Sale) but at weekends these places are very busy with all that usually entails.

It depends what's most important to you really - I'd say Middlewich for peace and Manchester for pubs.

You won't really do any queuing in either direction - save for the timed tunnels which are nothing really.

Unless it's a Bank Holiday weekend and one of the Bridgewater clubs is out & about :o

Otherwise, agree entirely.

Tim

If you are looking for a lock free jorney then go to manchester. The stretch to Middlewich is o.k but if you end up in Middlewich over a weekend you may get caught up in the 2 hire boat companies turn around days which can cause massive hold ups through the town as one of them trains their hirers in the locks

For general interest and a more rural feel, head for Middlewich.

The stretch to Manchester is not particularly scenic although if you moor in Castlefield on arrival it is a good base for a city centre night out.

We have done both directions, all be it on a weeks holiday so are in a good position to advise.

Head for Middlewich, good scenery and only one lock plus you can take in the Anderton boat Lift as well, even if you can't take your hire boat on it you can do the trip boat on the lift, well worth it we found.

As already stated the only real likely hold ups are at the tunnels with the time restrictions.

The journey towards Manchester is as already stated totally lock free where heading for Middlewich you have the 1 stop lock.

Oh btw our first canal holiday was on the Rochdale as well and know what you mean about not seeing a moving boat, we went 2 days before seeing one lol

We have done both directions, all be it on a weeks holiday so are in a good position to advise.

Head for Middlewich, good scenery and only one lock plus you can take in the Anderton boat Lift as well, even if you can't take your hire boat on it you can do the trip boat on the lift, well worth it we found.

As already stated the only real likely hold ups are at the tunnels with the time restrictions.

The journey towards Manchester is as already stated totally lock free where heading for Middlewich you have the 1 stop lock.

Oh btw our first canal holiday was on the Rochdale as well and know what you mean about not seeing a moving boat, we went 2 days before seeing one lol

We hired from Claymoore last March for weekend break & headed to Manchester which is 8 hours cruisng from Preston Brook.

We got an early take over time of around midday so we got to Lymm for the Friday Night. which is a great little village with plenty of pubs and places to eat. It have quite few moorings too. The Sat morning we headed to Manchester and moored in Castlefield Basin. Then the Sunday Morning we set off handy and headed back though Sale,Lymm and moored for our last might in Moore which is around an hour or so from Preston Brook.

great stretch no tunnels & no locks!

Aren't hire boats aloud on the "Anderton" boat lift?

We hired with the Canal Cruising Company and there was no problem with the Anderton Boat Lift and the River Weaver, both of which we enjoyed enormously.

Stewey

Many thanks with the replies. Will put it out to my fellow travellers to see what they opt for.

Yes it seems that some hire companies let there craft down the lift i.e Alvechurch & canal boat club do from Anderton as does Black prince, but some dont.

I was told my a engineer at Anderton that some companies wont let there boats down because it can become a nightmare if a breakdown happens while on the R Weaver .

Well when we went that way I just assumed hire firms would not allow you to take a boat on the lift.

Also they might be in a position where they are short of time going down the lift but would have time to do a one way trip boat.

Oh btw should have pointed out that we never went with Claymoore, but with Black Prince from Acton Bridge.

In a week we managed to get as far as Astley Green turned there and went as far as the top lock at Middlewich.

We could have got further in either direction but that year we decided on late starts and early finishes for a change lol.

Edited by muddywaters