Google Earth

stuart

Featured Posts

This is absolutely amazing!

Stuart you ought to do a press release in conjunction with CanalPlanAC people to the canal mags.

What an incredible feature.

Fun, fun, fun!

:):):(

Is there a way it can be made to function like the driving directions, so that you get an oblique angle to the earth and it rotates to always keep you travelling apparently upwards? Or is this possible already and I ma being thick!

Even my wife can see a use for Google Earth now.

B):)B)

Edited by Webchem

Brilliant, Stuart :(

All loaded up the first time I tried it.... B):)B)

No issues at all.

I'm not very clued up on Google Earth though. Once you have a route loaded, can you get Google Earth to "fly" you around it automatically ?

At the moment I'm just following around it with the mouse, but guess more is possible ?

And yes, on routes I've tried, some of the locations are a significant way out, leading to some zig-zagging, abnd (in the worst cases...), actual backtracking to a point wrongly coming up BEHIND anther, before moving on again.

But it's still pretty awesome, anyway, and should make playing the "guess the location game" rather easier. Previously I've managed to find some before anyone else, but then lost out by taking ages to find out where the hell I actually was :)

Brilliant, Stuart :(

I'm not very clued up on Google Earth though. Once you have a route loaded, can you get Google Earth to "fly" you around it automatically ?

Yes you can. If you load a route and click on the route name (will read like "start place" to "destination") then click the little ">" play button below it. Google earth will fly to the start and follow the route. Alter the speed in the tools menu.

The other benefit, is when I update the file on the server (as I improve the coordinates!) you will automatically receive the update - google will take care of it for you.

I've uploaded a new version of the full map which now has different icons for bridges, locks, winding holes and features.

I've also spent 3 hours fixing all the points on the BCN, locks and bridges are in the correct places now !!

I've uploaded a new version of the full map which now has different icons for bridges, locks, winding holes and features.

I've also spent 3 hours fixing all the points on the BCN, locks and bridges are in the correct places now !!

Hey Stuart,

I've tried creating a route and viewing it in google earth and it works great but I can't get

http://www.canal.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/goog...-canal-data.kmz

to actually show me any points.

Am I missing the point??? :(