help with identity of boat

Featured Posts

Hello all

Im looking for help with these boat details.

The only info i have is that i think it might have been a Theo Clayton.

info on Birt certificate is

8th feb 1912

boat number 35

Claytons Wharf

Stone street

Olbury

Fathers occcupation is listed as Tar boatman

also have another Birth certificate

16th oct 1910

same wharf address but father is listed canal boatman

the child was born on boat no 25

many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions (polite ones please ha! ha!)

Jeannette

If it's Thos Clayton's of OLdbury, (who specifically operated tar boats), then unfortunately the fleet list in Alan Faulkners "Claytons of Oldbury" book doesn't help.

That only shows narrow boats in the fleet from 1916, and both boat numbers you mention relate to later boats (25, "Hamble, built 1927 and 35 "Kubina" built 1930).

I'm assuming that your boats, if they belonged to this fleet, must have had numbers later reused by newer boats.

then unfortunately the fleet list in Alan Faulkners "Claytons of Oldbury" book doesn't help.

That only shows narrow boats in the fleet from 1916, and both boat numbers you mention relate to later boats (25, "Hamble, built 1927 and 35 "Kubina" built 1930).

Then along comes a clever dick with another correction (sorry).

Alan Faulkner's booklet Claytons of Oldbury, in common with some other booklets in the Robert Wilson series, gives a misleading and meaningless number in the first column of the fleet list. The fleet number is listed in the third column with HAMBLE being 35 and KUBINA being 70, both being a fleet number re-issue after an older boat had become redundant or disposed of. Although I have a transcript of the original Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. boat ledger it does not list the names for the older fleet number's 25 and 35. The B.C.N. gauge registers suggest that Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. fleet number 35 may well have been MEDWAY but I have no trace of the earlier issue for their fleet number 25.

Then along comes a clever dick with another correction (sorry).

Alan Faulkner's booklet Claytons of Oldbury, in common with some other booklets in the Robert Wilson series, gives a misleading and meaningless number in the first column of the fleet list.

Don't apologise - it will teach me to look more closely next time!

All I can continue to use as an excuse is that I am one week on from cataract surgery, and currently have specs that don't match the eye I now have!

Whilst on the subject of that booklet, there is something seriously amiss with the drawing of Dove on the font cover of my copy. The boatman looks seriosly out of scale with the boat somehow, and one can imagine he is taller than the back cabin is long! (But perhaps new glasses will sort that out for me too ?).

Jeannette,

As you know the father's name, presumably, and have, (if I understand correctly ?), evidence of births in 1910 and 1912, have you been able to trace the family in the 1911 census, please ?

It seems likely that they could have been listed as a boat family then, and, if you are lucky, boat names or fleet numbers are often listed in censusus, (particularly later ones). You may also find things like tonnages, and an idea if they are tied up with other boats from the same fleet.

Are these Harrisons, I wonder ?

Hello

Yes they are both Harrisons my (grandads siblings)

Father was James Harrison the mother i have her as Annie ,Ann & Hanna all in different paperwork & Census Marrige has her as Hanna Stevens her father is also listed as a canal boatman.

1912 birth cert is for Harriett who married into the Atkins famiy 1910 Mark Harrison (who later in life worked for Willow Wren)2nd wife

section 1 states birth date Dolly Ward this states boat no 25 Claytons Wharf OLdbury Fathers occ is stated as Canal Boatman informant Annie Harrison

boat no 35 section7

Claytons Wharf Tar boatman

Stone St OLdbury 1911 Census shows them at Brentfords Ham Wharf on board the Wear & Sour I know my g grandad James was v friendly with Emannuel (Manny) Smith @ Brentford & did a lot of work for him. as a matter of intrest 1911 Census shows James parents my gg Grandparents Allen & ann Harrison moored up above Norwood top lock outside what was the old British waterways building onboard the Linslade& still working the boats well into their 70s.

Many thanks for any help as these are amongst a pile of certs that i am unable to find the companys the boats belonged to, As some will know iv spent the last 30 odd years reserching & finding my family (2,487 in my working boatmans Harrison tree & 3 generations on my nans Hale boatmans side) & other boat peoples connections,but i am struggling with the boat side.

Jeannette

• Greenie 1

pete harrison

I belive you helped with another of my boat mysterys a poss is Stoulton (stalton) was paired with Atlas in 1937 Atlas was a British waterways boat but in the ownership of GUCCC this might explain why fathers occupation says Canal Carrying Company Port of london E.c.3 Have had contact from a gentleman who has records of Atlas having a steerer A Harrison for the date on certificate. This Atlas is still with us today & at Hawne Basin i am awaiting reply to dates from & to of Sterrer. do you think this a poss or am i barking up the wrong tree again. Joe seems to remember working on a Atlas with my Grandad delivering clink & ash from the Basin to people repairing the toe path between Willow tree & Bulls Bridge.

best wishes

Jeannette

STOULTON Jeannette, Big Ricky butty, new in '37. Pete will have more.

Sorry yes the correct spelling is STOULTON but on the birth cert it is spelt how it would have sounded from a boatmans mouth STALTON

That is why i have had so much trouble tracing some of the boats family where born,christned, wed & died on.Even some Census are the same as most could neither read or write the officals would write it as it sounded to them,as iv said before most not connected to an old boatman & their kin would have great problems understanding the accent & words even i have to ask for them to repeat themself somtimes.

Jeannette

That's absolutely right Jeannette, I understand that perfectly. Wasn't trying to pick you up on spelling. Many a name spelt many ways when literacy was not so widespread. Sheila Stewart's book 'Ramlin Rose' tells of 'Rose', who always knew her mate as 'Syer', never finding out his full name 'til he died, and heard it said 'Josiah'.

It's a good read, I'm sure you have it.

Hello Derek

Yes spelling & accent is a big problem with the certificates & info i have. My G Gran appears in 1901 census as Hanna a few months later Grandads birth cert has her as Ann in his siblings certs she is anne, annie,hanny.Her birth name i now know was Hannar.

Grandad was sent to his Uncle & Godparents boat when he was 12 Robert & ann (also known as anne or Ann)Harrison nee Stokes im sure you would have seen her picture @ a boat Museum (the Brentford boat girl) Grandad was given the task of giving myself & brothers our middle name & wanted to name us after his Aunt & Uncle. my Brother middle name of Robert mine as ann but because he could not read or write didnt know if it should be ann or anne hence the unusual spelling of my first name

Je anne tte Ann Harrison. even when she died the spelling was a heated argument so her headstone says Ann E Harrison.

Jeannette