Council Tax

sanford

Featured Posts

It looks like i will be made redundant soon, we want to go on our boat for about 6 months, does anyone know if we still have to pay council tax? The council says yes but they would to get the cash for doing nowt thanks

It looks like i will be made redundant soon, we want to go on our boat for about 6 months, does anyone know if we still have to pay council tax? The council says yes but they would to get the cash for doing nowt thanks

That sounds like a good plan but, regrettably, you will still need to find the money to pay your council tax and many other household bills.

I was made redundant last week but I start a new job on Wednesday - that may have been a mistake but as everyone has been saying how hard it is to get work, I thought I would give it a try . . .

Sorry to hear of your redundancy but at least you can take the opportunity to use your boat. Council tax exemptions are explained here clicky

Good luck.

Yes you will.

ETA Just clocked your boat name - by my reckoning you are on the Ibis pontoon at Mercia - yeah/ney?

Edited by MJG

If you leave the property unfurnished you pay a reduced council tax but then you have to pay to store your furniture. You could try and cancel your Marina fees if you are going to cruise, not sure how that works as I do not use a marina.

If you leave the property unfurnished you pay a reduced council tax but then you have to pay to store your furniture. You could try and cancel your Marina fees if you are going to cruise, not sure how that works as I do not use a marina.

My understanding, from recent discussions about my late mother's former home, is that some councils will take the presence of any furniture in a property as "furnished".

To qualify as "unfurnished" I was told every last chair has to be removed, not just every last bed.....

My understanding, from recent discussions about my late mother's former home, is that some councils will take the presence of any furniture in a property as "furnished".

To qualify as "unfurnished" I was told every last chair has to be removed, not just every last bed.....

That is correct and some councils such as Birmingham wont let you leave the fridge and cooker unless the cooker is built in!!!

Yes we are on mercia we are on jay pontoon up from you have seen your boat name and though it may be you on the forum thanks for replies

Sorry my mistake

I's to the right...

J's to the left...

My original response stands though, you will need to continue to pay council tax, for a 6 month stint on your boat.....

PS - there is enough CWDF members at Mercia to justify a banter....

I'll take responsibility for organising one...

Yes we are on mercia we are on jay pontoon up from you have seen your boat name and though it may be you on the forum thanks for replies

:smiley_offtopic:

"me @ you and a dog named boo"? Not Me & you and a dog named Boo?

Richard

I have 2 properties I rent out.

An unfurnished flat...and a 'student house' which is furnished.

If the unfurnished flat ends up empty for a month or so...I am told by Brighton council..they require No council tax.

The students (student house ) get a 'zero' exemption when they move in. There is always a time...of maybe 2 weeks...when the students leave...and before the new ones moved in. As its furnished..I have to pay council tax for these weeks..but the council give me a 10% rebate..( but I had to nag to get this )

The council say...if I removed every bit of furniture..it would be elligable for zero.

This fits in with Lewes council...where a friend of mine over the road..ran a 'one at a time' hairdressers in a little converted area at the back of her house. She paid a small business rate for this.

She was diagnosed with cancer....and had 6 months where she had chemo etc...and there was no way she could hair-dress...but the council wanted full council tax unless she removed every single fitting...sink etc.

I guess different councils work the system different ways...and thats the thing to remember....DON'T take their word for anything...!.

They need the money...so argue your case...!!

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

A while back we invested in a buy to let that was in pretty bad shape and required doing up. We applied for council tax relief but were refused because the previous owner had applied for it prior to selling so we lost out. We tried to argue that due to refurb the house was unhabitable ie there was no kitchen fitted but the guy the council sent round to check our claim said that a microwave constitued a method of cooking food so our argument was void.

So as I understand the only way you can avoid paying council tax is to remove all amenities making the house 'unhabitable' ie smash the toilet up. Hence why you somtimes find derelict buildings toilets are smashed up for no apparant reason!

Not entirely sure if the above is true so probably best to seek advice from an expert.

Same goes for empty factory units with holes in the roof so I have been told.

A while back we invested in a buy to let that was in pretty bad shape and required doing up. We applied for council tax relief but were refused because the previous owner had applied for it prior to selling so we lost out. We tried to argue that due to refurb the house was unhabitable ie there was no kitchen fitted but the guy the council sent round to check our claim said that a microwave constitued a method of cooking food so our argument was void.

So as I understand the only way you can avoid paying council tax is to remove all amenities making the house 'unhabitable' ie smash the toilet up. Hence why you somtimes find derelict buildings toilets are smashed up for no apparant reason!

Not entirely sure if the above is true so probably best to seek advice from an expert.

Same goes for empty factory units with holes in the roof so I have been told.

As I said ..'above'..this seems to be down to councils..?

Brighton and Hove are happy for my unfurnished flat to be empty..although it has a fitted oven..but no fridge..microwave...washing machine...

They give me zero rating..although there is a numnber of months for that..(maybe 6 max.?)

This may be your problem....if the seller already used up the '6 months'..?

The furnished student house...I pay for the few empty weeks..but get a 10% reduction...

I should have thought you would get a reduction...but would have to argue that.

They need the cash....get fighting !!

Bob

Why should you be allowed to evade CT? Wherever you are in this country you are using LA provided or supported facillities - footpaths, roads, drains, buses, education, libraries etc. If you pay no CT anywhere then you are benefitting from these services without paying your share towards them.

There is no mechanism for collecting it from CCers but there should be. A CC licence should include an extra levy for CT which is then distributed amongst riparian LAs.

Why should you be allowed to evade CT? Wherever you are in this country you are using LA provided or supported facillities - footpaths, roads, drains, buses, education, libraries etc. If you pay no CT anywhere then you are benefitting from these services without paying your share towards them.

There is no mechanism for collecting it from CCers but there should be. A CC licence should include an extra levy for CT which is then distributed amongst riparian LAs.

That seems a silly argument...ill thought through.

I pay my boat license and that entitles me to moor and use towpaths..get water that is paid for by BW and the same with pumpouts..and BW pay to local councils for this....so there is a contribution to local councils.

Under your philosphy...if I rent a caravan in Wales for a week and walk into various towns...I better apply to the local councils so that I can pay them for walking on their footpaths and using the public loos...tourist information..buses...maybe a 'roaming around town while on holiday' license.

Also..have you any concept of how much it costs to collect and then redistribute money ?

You would probably have to add £5k to each and every boat license to cover the costs of the new systems and staff.

You pay for council tax..it goes to that council...so...you had better start working out every single council area you go into and ask for bills..

Do you pay a 'blanket fee' for walking or parking while on holiday. Are you advocating that when you do this..say by bus or car...you should pay a fee ?.

If not..why do you think that boaters should be different ?

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

That seems a silly argument...ill thought through.

I pay my boat license and that entitles me to moor and use towpaths..get water that is paid for by BW and the same with pumpouts..and BW pay to local councils for this....so there is a contribution to local councils.

Under your philosphy...if I rent a caravan in Wales for a week and walk into various towns...I better apply to the local councils so that I can pay them for walking on their footpaths and using the public loos...tourist information..buses...maybe a 'roaming around town while on holiday' license.

You pay for council tax..it goes to that council...so...you had better start working out every single council area you go into and ask for bills..

Do you pay a 'blanket fee' for walking or parking while on holiday. Are you advocating that when you do this..say by bus or car...you should pay a fee ?.

If not..why do you think that boaters should be different ?

Bob

I pay Council tax to my LA. This means that I contribute to the sevices that they provide. When I go elsewhere then I use other LAs' facillities and CT payers from other areas who visit my LA use mine. This is fair enough. We have paid our shares.

If I pay no CT to anyone then I am benefitting from LA provided facillities, without contributing, wherever I am.

What is silly and ill considered about that?

I pay Council tax to my LA. This means that I contribute to the sevices that they provide. When I go elsewhere then I use other LAs' facillities and CT payers from other areas who visit my LA use mine. This is fair enough. We have paid our shares.

If I pay no CT to anyone then I am benefitting from LA provided facillities, without contributing, wherever I am.

What is silly and ill considered about that?

Enjoy

I believe if your house is still in your name and furnished then the answer yes.

My council's definition of furnished was explicitly "including beds or sofas that could be used for sleeping"

White goods no longer considered as furniture as quite often built in & very often left in situ in vacant house

6 months free of CT then reduced rate