Proximity of gas line to 12v cable

Featured Posts

I asked a similar question although about the TV aerial cable. I was told by an inspector that it had to be separated by at least 30mm. Quite why, I couldn't really understand unless He was thinking it might get struck by lightening.... then I think 30mm may be irrelevant!

Hi assuming we are talking about a private boat, single insulated cables are required to be clear of gas, and fuel, pipes. Double insulated cables are not subject to the proximity check.

FYI the 30mm separation mentioned WAS applicable prior to the 2005 standards being adopted, it is still applicable to hire, commercial and residential craft subject to the Gas Safety (installation & use) regulations for which the BSS 2002 apply.

Hope this helps

Paul M

Hi assuming we are talking about a private boat, single insulated cables are required to be clear of gas, and fuel, pipes. Double insulated cables are not subject to the proximity check.

FYI the 30mm separation mentioned WAS applicable prior to the 2005 standards being adopted, it is still applicable to hire, commercial and residential craft subject to the Gas Safety (installation & use) regulations for which the BSS 2002 apply.

Hope this helps

Paul M

Many thanks Paul, I couldn't find reference to TV aerial wires anywhere but of course they are double insulated so no need for worry.

Boyo

Look it up on the BSS website.

Basically tyhere has to be separation, but you can put the cable in a conduit and have it touching.

BSS 3 says "conduit made of non-conducting material". I read this as plastic and not metal. Anyone had any issues related to this?

Paul

Hi Paul

Most people

e avoid the use of metalic conduit, "plastic" is cheaper lighter and non corroding but there is no requirement for the wiring to be in conduit. You should note that pvc insulated cables should not be allowed to come into contact with polystyrene insulation, as there is a reaction between the two materials that leeches the plasticisers out of the pvc and breaks the insulation down.

HTH

Paul M

Edited by pmms