Adjusting Tappets

Featured Posts

Read the manual, they will certainly need checking at the appropriate service intervals.

It is usually a simple job as long as you've done it at least once before (ideally under experienced supervision), and you have a good tool kit and know how too use it.

It's worth remembering that loose tappets cause alot less problems than tight tappets

Good luck

Paul

Read the manual, they will certainly need checking at the appropriate service intervals.

It is usually a simple job as long as you've done it at least once before (ideally under experienced supervision), and you have a good tool kit and know how too use it.

It's worth remembering that loose tappets cause alot less problems than tight tappets

Good luck

Paul

Done it many times when cars were cars and not space ships but never done it on a diesel engine, have tool box but now need the courage.

Regards

Andy

Our Beta 43 engine has done 2250 hours and wondering if the tappets need adjusting if so how?

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy, checking the Beta operation and maintenance manual there is no mention of checking tappet clearances, nor do they give the clearances to do so.

Modern diesels are a completely different animal from the vintage stuff. A case of not broken doesn't need fixing.

Hi Andy, checking the Beta operation and maintenance manual there is no mention of checking tappet clearances, nor do they give the clearances to do so.

Modern diesels are a completely different animal from the vintage stuff. A case of not broken doesn't need fixing.

You need to ascertain whether they are hydraulic tappets. If they are then no adjustment is necessary. Any mention of hydraulic tappets in the manual?

Roger

The Isuzu 42HP on Zodiak should have its tappets adjusted every 1000 hours according to the manual. However, I was advised by an RCR engineer who did our engine inspection that there was no need to do this on the marinised version as the 1000 hours was based on vehicle use where there is much more revving. He advised if it sounds fine then do nothing. He seemed a knowledgable chap and when it came to oil changes recommended a pre and post winter change including filter in addition to the regular 250 hour change

Mick

No mention of anything to do with tappets in the Beta manual! A call to Beta would be the way to go methinks!

I have a manual sent by email from Beta that is actually the Kubota workshop manual for the base engine.

Tappets are listed as check and adjust every 800 hrs. My Beta 43 does not have hydraulic tappets.

Suggest you get in touch with Beta and ask for the manual to be sent

The Isuzu 42HP on Zodiak should have its tappets adjusted every 1000 hours according to the manual. However, I was advised by an RCR engineer who did our engine inspection that there was no need to do this on the marinised version as the 1000 hours was based on vehicle use where there is much more revving. He advised if it sounds fine then do nothing. He seemed a knowledgable chap and when it came to oil changes recommended a pre and post winter change including filter in addition to the regular 250 hour change

Mick

Unfortunately, 'sounding fine' can cover valve clearances that are too tight. Tight valve clearances on a diesel can reduce compression and cause white smoking and inefficient running. Clearances can be reduced by valve recession into the head for example. We used to get valve recession a lot on, for example, the Vauxhall Corsa 1.5 turbo diesel engine.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Unfortunately, 'sounding fine' can cover valve clearances that are too tight. Tight valve clearances on a diesel can reduce compression and cause white smoking and inefficient running. Clearances can be reduced by valve recession into the head for example. We used to get valve recession a lot on, for example, the Vauxhall Corsa 1.5 turbo diesel engine.

Roger

I would add that the valve springs on the modern Jap base engines are so weak that if you used the sort of "feel" on the gauges that one used to then there is every chance they would be too tight. Mind you I have not heard much about valve recession on marinised engines.

I would add that the valve springs on the modern Jap base engines are so weak that if you used the sort of "feel" on the gauges that one used to then there is every chance they would be too tight. Mind you I have not heard much about valve recession on marinised engines.

Possibly not Tony. I was using it as an illustration of how you cannot judge valve clearances by sound alone though. We could tell on the Vauxhall (Isuzu) 1.5 turbo by when the whistle from the turbo disappeared, but we used to check anyway.

Roger

Edited to add that they use to recess so far that the clearance went negative and we had to put in a temporary, much thinner, shim into the top of the bucket in order to be able to take a measurement, in order to choose the correct shim for the correct clearance.

Edited by Albion