Tree cutting Kennet Navigation

Steilsteven

Featured Posts

Dear All,

Some of you may be aware of me banging on about tree growth on the Kennet and how it has become a severe navigational hazard.

Over the past few weeks BW has been making good progress in doing something about this and have cleared a good amount of over growth between Tyle Mill and Burghfield. There is still a lot to be done, not least because it's been 25 years since this was last carried out, there are many trees obstructing parts of the next section to County Lock.

It has come to my attention this morning that BW have had some correspondence from anglers complaining about the work.

There is a very real possibility that, unless BW receive positive responses, the work will stop.

There is only a small 'window' in which to carry out this work, as it will have to stop as soon as the nesting season starts, so any delay needs to be avoided.

A lot of people have been discouraged from using this waterway over the last few years because of this problem, it would be tragic if the work stopped now so I'm asking you to write in to Mark Stephens manager BW Kennet and Avon in support and encouragement of this work continuing.

mark.stephens@britishwaterways.co.uk

Thanks,

Keith

I'm in two minds on what to do, whilst I agree that some serious thinning is needed at that end of the navigation, I have also seen what can happen if the contractors go ahead with little or no restraint (the cheap easy option IMO) the effect on the fishery can be devistating, sure the canal is a canal, but the navigable river sections are just that and I would hope any cropping of trees & foliage would be done with an eye on BOTH camps, boaters and anglers

I'd guess RDAA (they control most of the fishing access in that area) if it is them doing the moaning, are just trying to protect their fish & fisheries for their members.

I'll pop down there of Friday and take a look, which bits have they done?

Paul

I'm in two minds on what to do, whilst I agree that some serious thinning is needed at that end of the navigation, I have also seen what can happen if the contractors go ahead with little or no restraint (the cheap easy option IMO) the effect on the fishery can be devistating, sure the canal is a canal, but the navigable river sections are just that and I would hope any cropping of trees & foliage would be done with an eye on BOTH camps, boaters and anglers

I'd guess RDAA (they control most of the fishing access in that area) if it is them doing the moaning, are just trying to protect their fish & fisheries for their members.

I'll pop down there of Friday and take a look, which bits have they done?

Paul

I regularly walk between Fobney & Burghfield and as far as I can see the river section is fine, its the canal section that seems to need a degree of tree trimming, especially to the offside. Along this section the anglers have the use of the actual river instead.

The river section below Fobney is a bit bendy and the willows can get in the way a bit but I have never felt much was needed apart from possibly trimming the odd branch and removing low horizontal growths and the odd fallen, but still growing trees.

It seems the previous MPs stance of lets try to ban the boats from my favourite fishing ground is live and well!

It is my belief that BW have a legal responsibility to ensure that vegetation on their land is safe. As shown so many times they are failing in their protection of canal users.

Mike

Be that as it may, this time they're doing a good job which is why it needs to be encouraged.

Keith.