Wi-Fi / Mobile Internet Aerial

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi,

We currently receive our internet broadband signal via either a Dongle, or, Marina Wi-fi via a magnetic based aerial which is mounted on the cabin roof.

As I'd prefer to have a fixed aerial attached to the cabin roof, whereby the cable can be routed through the metal roof skin and down through a hollow cabin wall, can anyone recommend a product which also has the advantage of signal amplification?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

We currently receive our internet broadband signal via either a Dongle, or, Marina Wi-fi via a magnetic based aerial which is mounted on the cabin roof.

As I'd prefer to have a fixed aerial attached to the cabin roof, whereby the cable can be routed through the metal roof skin and down through a hollow cabin wall, can anyone recommend a product which also has the advantage of signal amplification?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

Just a quick query ,does your aerial connect directly to your lappy or via a router ..I am trying to establish a stronger signal myself...thanks .

Hi,

Cheers,

Mike

Hi.

Have a look at this website, Somone living on a boat with a full understanding of systems. No conection, but worth a look.

http://www.boaterstech.co.uk/

Regards

John Mck

Hi Mike

Just a quick query ,does your aerial connect directly to your lappy or via a router ..I am trying to establish a stronger signal myself...thanks .

Hi,

we currently have two forms of internet access. One is through an Orange Dongle that hangs out of the window (dead give away to any potential Laptop thieves), the other is a magnet based external aerial that we use to connect to the marina Wi-Fi. Both are linked to our PC

through a USB connection.

We opted for a compact HP PC rather than a Laptop, as this affords us plenty of memory with the added bonus of speed.

Mike

Hi.

Have a look at this website, Somone living on a boat with a full understanding of systems. No connection, but worth a look.

http://www.boaterstech.co.uk/

Regards

John Mck

Cheers..!

Good site, with the bonus that as you say, the guy lives on a boat and will obviously share our concerns.

Mike

Hi,

we currently have two forms of internet access. One is through an Orange Dongle that hangs out of the window (dead give away to any potential Laptop thieves), the other is a magnet based external aerial that we use to connect to the marina Wi-Fi. Both are linked to our PC

through a USB connection.

We opted for a compact HP PC rather than a Laptop, as this affords us plenty of memory with the added bonus of speed.

Mike

Cheers Mike am on the same marina as yourself ,and am trying to source a external aerial coz the reception inside the hull is dire and a rite pain any ideas ? yours Slammer

Cheers Mike am on the same marina as yourself ,and am trying to source a external aerial coz the reception inside the hull is dire and a rite pain any ideas ? yours Slammer

Hi Slammer,

I noticed the time that your post was sent, are those noisy geese keeping you awake as well?

By reception, do you mean internet, or, mobile phone? If it's the latter, the only way we improved our phone reception was to change from Orange to 02, this has solved that particular problem very well.

I intend to contact both of the companies that are linked on this thread to investigate what's most suitable for our needs. Once I've tried one of their suggestions, I'll post our results back on here.

If it's the internet that's causing you problems, are you connected to the marina Wi-Fi, or, using a dongle? We are currently moored up by Bridge 79 to relieve ourselves of marina fever

and I'm connected via our Orange dongle (hanging out of the window). Compared to the Wi-Fi, it's painfully slow.

When connected to the Wi-Fi, we rely upon a magnetic based roof aerial that links to our PC

through one of the USB ports. Although this works fine, I would prefer to have a fixed aerial

that also improves both dongle and Wi-Fi reception, together with routing the cable through the roof skin and down through a hollow section bulkhead to avoid the 'cable through the window' situation. Hence the original post.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Hi Slammer,

I noticed the time that your post was sent, are those noisy geese keeping you awake as well?

By reception, do you mean internet, or, mobile phone? If it's the latter, the only way we improved our phone reception was to change from Orange to 02, this has solved that particular problem very well.

I intend to contact both of the companies that are linked on this thread to investigate what's most suitable for our needs. Once I've tried one of their suggestions, I'll post our results back on here.

If it's the internet that's causing you problems, are you connected to the marina Wi-Fi, or, using a dongle? We are currently moored up by Bridge 79 to relieve ourselves of marina fever

and I'm connected via our Orange dongle (hanging out of the window). Compared to the Wi-Fi, it's painfully slow.

When connected to the Wi-Fi, we rely upon a magnetic based roof aerial that links to our PC

through one of the USB ports. Although this works fine, I would prefer to have a fixed aerial

that also improves both dongle and Wi-Fi reception, together with routing the cable through the roof skin and down through a hollow section bulkhead to avoid the 'cable through the window' situation. Hence the original post.

Mike

Hi mike , Just back in marina myself after a jaunt to nantwich at weekend , its the wifi I have a problem with moved the boat to different pontoons but no change. So its the external link that I am looking for.. When we are out cruising we have either voda or 3 dongals no probs with them .. As for the time of posting .lol unfortunatly insomnia suffered for years with it ,but must say been alot better the last few years whilst living afloat ...;)

Hi mike , Just back in marina myself after a jaunt to nantwich at weekend , its the wifi I have a problem with moved the boat to different pontoons but no change. So its the external link that I am looking for.. When we are out cruising we have either voda or 3 dongals no probs with them .. As for the time of posting .lol unfortunately insomnia suffered for years with it ,but must say been alot better the last few years whilst living afloat ...;)

Hello Slammer,

The Wi-Fi aerial that we currently use is an external magnetic based antenna combined with a wireless 11g USB adapter. It works fine where we are over at Ivy pier which is quite close to

one of the Wi-Fi transmitters. I would suggest that you have a word with Anthony in the office about your reception problems as he seems quite clued up on the subject.

I notice that you use both Voda & 3 dongles for your mobile interenet connection, which one of these do you rate as the best? Our Orange dongle is ok but I've heard that '3' are pretty good.

With regard to your insomnia, all I can recommend to cure that is a good night's sleep! :P

Only joking. It may have been brought on with the stressful life you may have experienced on dry land. We find that our lives are far more relaxed now that we live aboard. It's only when they run out of Timothy Taylor's bitter at the Shroppie Fly, do I get stressed :lol:

Mike

Maybe slightly off this topic, but just noticed Argos have some of the original Vodaphone dongles on eBay. These are the ones which charge £15 for 1GB, but the credit does not expire with time. Makes it a very cheap way to get email if that is all you need.

Hello Slammer,

The Wi-Fi aerial that we currently use is an external magnetic based antenna combined with a wireless 11g USB adapter. It works fine where we are over at Ivy pier which is quite close to

one of the Wi-Fi transmitters. I would suggest that you have a word with Anthony in the office about your reception problems as he seems quite clued up on the subject.

I notice that you use both Voda & 3 dongles for your mobile interenet connection, which one of these do you rate as the best? Our Orange dongle is ok but I've heard that '3' are pretty good.

With regard to your insomnia, all I can recommend to cure that is a good night's sleep! :P

Only joking. It may have been brought on with the stressful life you may have experienced on dry land. We find that our lives are far more relaxed now that we live aboard. It's only when they run out of Timothy Taylor's bitter at the Shroppie Fly, do I get stressed :lol:

Mike

Hi Mike concerning the dongals the voda seems the better of the two ,but swings and roundabouts when all said and done . Have already chatted with the office alas the pontoon jumping already done ..!! This adapter you have , where can such a device be found and at what cost ? cheers Slammer :cheers:

Hi Mike concerning the dongals the voda seems the better of the two ,but swings and roundabouts when all said and done . Have already chatted with the office alas the pontoon jumping already done ..!! This adapter you have , where can such a device be found and at what cost ? cheers Slammer :cheers:

Hi Slammer,

I've looked on the internet for our adapter but to no avail. We bought it from our previous marina when they introduced their own Wi-Fi. It's a Chinese manufacturer (no surprise there then), with little information other that

'USB Wireless Adapter 802.11 b/g'.

I would suggest referring to the link on post number 6 of this thread, as the company appear to be boat orientated and should be able to provide a solution to both of our needs. I will contact them later this week.

Mike

If you're getting an aerial for a dongle, you need to make sure it actually has an aeriel socket. My newest dongle on Vodafone (model number K3805Z)does have a socket, but the last few usb stick style ones we've had did not. THe ones with aeriel sockets take different sized connectors so make sure whoever you are buying your aeriel off knows the model number.

It's possible to unlock dongles just like you can unlock mobile phones, I'm planning to do this, and get some PAYG sims from different providers, so if we are struggling with a connction when we cruise this summer, we can try another providers sim and see if it works any better. If you do this you need to use generic software to connect to the internet.

If you're getting an aerial for a dongle, you need to make sure it actually has an aeriel socket. My newest dongle on Vodafone (model number K3805Z)does have a socket, but the last few usb stick style ones we've had did not. THe ones with aeriel sockets take different sized connectors so make sure whoever you are buying your aeriel off knows the model number.

It's possible to unlock dongles just like you can unlock mobile phones, I'm planning to do this, and get some PAYG sims from different providers, so if we are struggling with a connction when we cruise this summer, we can try another providers sim and see if it works any better. If you do this you need to use generic software to connect to the internet.

That sounds like a sensible idea. We're currently locked into a deal with Orange and their reception around here is poor. Also, as we're using the marina Wi-Fi over the winter months, but still paying for our contract dongle, it's a waste of money!

Mike

I've found that motorhome forums are the best source of info on how to do this - as many of them travel around Europe it makes sense for them to have sims for each country they visit.

If you Google 'unlock' and the model number of your dongle, there are a few websites that will sell you the software. Unfortunately haven't found anywhere that gives you this for free, yet, its about a tenner.

The generic software for Huawei dongles is here http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/General-Huawei-Software/

I can't vouch for how good this site is just found it via a forum.

Have you considered putting the dongle outside on the end of an extended USB cable. I have a piece of white plastic tube (kitchen drain pipe) with a cap to keep the rain out. It holds the dongle about a metre above the roof.

On the other hand I haven't had to use it for a long time. Dongle inside window seems to work well. Mine is a 3 pay as you go.

The performance of the mobile broadband system seems to be improving steadily. I don't think I would bother with WiFi even if it were nearby and cheap.

I have a directional WiFi antenna in a weatherproof outdoor box with a wifi access point inside it. The radio part of the access point is considerably more powerful than the normal indoor types. When I got it I was connecting to an indoor WiFi system about 400 metres away (with permission). As far as I know I got it from here but they only seem to have the antennas on their website now. Might be worth a phone call or email.

They demolished the factory that was near our mooring. Along with the factory went the nearest 3G transmitter to our boat. :angry:

So using the dongle inside our window didn't work as well.

For some reason my latest dongle won't work on a long USB cable (this is a shielded one from Maplin, not a cheap thin one). So I had to admit defeat and get an aeriel, which is mag mounted and works very well.

Dongle on a long cable does work very well for most people, though.