Header tanks

starman

Featured Posts

When I install my central heating system it will need a header/expansion tank. My engine also has a header tank (unpressurised). I need to have a new engine header made so could I fabricate one tank that would serve both the engine and the heating?

Apologies if this is an extremely dumb question!

When I install my central heating system it will need a header/expansion tank. My engine also has a header tank (unpressurised). I need to have a new engine header made so could I fabricate one tank that would serve both the engine and the heating?

As long as the tank contains two separate tanks / circuits, that would be OK..in fact Ray made up a stainless steel one for N Bear Nest.

Top_up_t.jpg

I wouldn't, personally. If you find the tank empty one day, or just the level dropping, you have twice as much pipework to check for leaks. Can't find a leak? Is it a head gasket problem or a hidden CH pipe draining into the bilge? Found and fixed the leak? Want to fill the system temporarily with plain water to be sure, rather than risking more antifreeze loss? You can't without risking diluting the other half of the system.

MP.

This is our setup. Main header tank is a length of plastic soil pipe which is pushed into a stop end which is fastened to the rear deck with a tank connector, another stop end acts as a lid. Isolation valves enable engine to run pressurised or unpressurised from it's own expansion tank. Works a treat.

plumbingY-1.jpg