A topcoat on the shell

Featured Posts

I know this may bring forth a whole range of ideas / opinions, but I just want to get a topcoat on the shell when its ready.

It will come primed and undercoated.

Am after a mid shade grey in satin and want the easiest method of applying it. Have used rollers on our last boat and had varying degrees of finish with them. Was thinking maybe using good quality brushes (to help eliminate brushmarks).

Basically, am not planning to give it 10 coats and then another 10 coats of varnish/lacquer. A few food coats of one colour will do for me.

What paint would be best to use? Have heard some people recommend International. Are they any good and are there others to use / avoid?

I have always been a fan of Masons Paints as it is easy to apply (you will find some that claim to have a high pigment level are difficult to get a good finish on) and will dry with ferw brush marks

Satin finsih sounds nice for home buy I'm not sure if seen a boat paint with that finish advertised

Would that be meat or vegetable? B)

Joseph and his edible coat of one colour? :P

...back to paint...a lot of people moan about International Paint. All I can say, is that since it has been made in South Africa, it at least drys fairly quickly.

NB Earnest is painted in Mason's...except the orangey red*. This is old International Toplac and takes ages to dry, which can be a bu&&er if it has not gone off before th eday ends and damp gets into it.

As for Mason's, it skins over very quickly, so you have to be quick! ( I am not a one for using any brushing / drying agents).

orangey red*

Mrs TNC thinks this is garish and wants it toned down to a marooney-red. I said fine...you buy it and we will dispose of my still extensive stocks of old International red...she declined :P

I have always been a fan of Masons Paints as it is easy to apply (you will find some that claim to have a high pigment level are difficult to get a good finish on) and will dry with ferw brush marks

Satin finsih sounds nice for home buy I'm not sure if seen a boat paint with that finish advertised

I know but not overly fussed on super glossy shiny shiny.

In my experience, its always been a beggar to use glossy paints on boats and get a good finish. Furthermore, it always seems harder to touch up when you scratch it.

I've used Rylard, international, Midland Chandlers and smoothrite. Good results with all.

Rylard - used for cabin sides. Went on and covered well (navy blue). Dried quickly with good gloss, but never seems to be really hard - rubs off onto ropes etc. The red is orange and doesn't cover well.

International - Used garage door paint. Dried well and held gloss. Used red instead of Rylard.

Midland Chandlers - used for roof. Dried well - cheap and would use again.

Smoothrite - Top bend and anything that gets knocked. Goes onto less than perfect metal and sticks well. Hard wearing and goes off quickly. Also used smoothrite red-lead for decks.

Have heard some people recommend International. Are they any good and are there others to use / avoid?

I wanted Satin black on the gunnnels down to the first rubbing strake - I ended up using black International Toplac (mixed tin for tin) with International matting agent. I did the job well - but - at the time I didn't know Craftmaster Raddle was availabe in any colour. I've never actually tried Phil's paint (so can't comment much) but according to many members on here its reckoned to be the best of the bunch, albeit not the cheapest, which stands to reason as you usually get what you pay for.

I used Rylard dark blue on the rest of the boat and would agree with the comment about it staying soft - its also rubbed away where my ropes catch it.

1 coat primer, any delays u need a temp gloss coat as most primers are porous and you may get rust under the paint. You can get a holding primer (google it) but I have no experience of it.

2 coats undercoat, 3 if you like

2 coats gloss

Craftmaster for me with a bit of owatrol - 10-15% only, or PPA 5-10% both dependent on how the paint is behaving.

Better still go on Phil Speights painting course, will save you time and money