Low consumption electric heater

boatyboy

Featured Posts

Evening all.I sure some of you might have read my tales of woe regarding me not winterizing our boat last year...Nuf said.

This year i'm looking to buy a low consumtion electric heater that is ok to leave on in the boat whilst i go home for a fortnight.So if any of you can recommend one i would be grateful.

Dave

Evening all.I sure some of you might have read my tales of woe regarding me not winterizing our boat last year...Nuf said.

This year i'm looking to buy a low consumtion electric heater that is ok to leave on in the boat whilst i go home for a fortnight.So if any of you can recommend one i would be grateful.

Dave

I bought one of these last Thursday and installed it on my boat immediately. it's dead simple. All it does is switch on when the temperature drops to 5 degrees and switch off again when it rises above. I went away for the weekend and checked the boat on Sunday afternoon - the chill was off and no problems.

today I fitted a timer plug so the heater will run for only 12 hours a day - overnight - so that will halve my lectric costs and the temperature rises in the day anyway.

I'm happy with it

I bought one of these last Thursday and installed it on my boat immediately. it's dead simple. All it does is switch on when the temperature drops to 5 degrees and switch off again when it rises above. I went away for the weekend and checked the boat on Sunday afternoon - the chill was off and no problems.

today I fitted a timer plug so the heater will run for only 12 hours a day - overnight - so that will halve my lectric costs and the temperature rises in the day anyway.

I'm happy with it

Surly if the temperature rises during the day the heater will turn its self off and if the temperature dosen't rise you want to keep it switched on.

Nah - if the temperature doesn't rise above 5 degrees the heater stays on for 24 hours - I'm having it rum during the coldest part of the 24 hours - darkness

My thinking is that the residual heat and the warmer day temperatures will keep the frost out of the cabin. I've drained down my water system as well, just in case.

How can one heater be more energy efficient than another?

Consider an inefficient heater. A certain amount of electrical energy is supplied to the heater which converts some of it to heat. Because it is inefficient it wastes the rest ... by turning it into heat. In other words ALL the supplied energy is ALWAYS converted to heat.

• Greenie 1

How can one heater be more energy efficient than another?

Consider an inefficient heater. A certain amount of electrical energy is supplied to the heater which converts some of it to heat. Because it is inefficient it wastes the rest ... by turning it into heat. In other words ALL the supplied energy is ALWAYS converted to heat.

A bit like a light bulb maybe that is only say 11w but gives out as much light as a 60w bulb.

"The manufacturers claim that because of the design and materials used in its construction the radiator achieves energy savings of around 60%.These claims are backed up with an independent evaluation from BSRIA (the Building Services Research and Information Association)".

A bit like a light bulb maybe that is only say 11w but gives out as much light as a 60w bulb.

But that is not at all the same thing. The difference between the 11W and 60W is almost entirely down to heat. An old fashioned light bulb gives off lots of heat and not that much light, per watt. It is inefficient at generating light.

"because of the design and materials used in its construction the radiator achieves energy savings of around 60%.".

That sounds like a complete lie :-)

How can one heater be more efficient than another?

A low consumption heater will not be enough for this cold weather.

I have 2kW of fan heater set on a thermostat at a few degrees above zero C and it struggles to keep the cabin above freezing at the moment.

You must have a good sized shore line connection. At my marina, they only let us have 5A (barely) just enough to run my 800w oil filled radiator.

What I should do, Allan, is let you have the spare keys to my boat so when it is cold and icy and snowy like now, you could pop in and see how she is :hug:

Keith

Dave

Link. This is apparently suitable for boats.

If you want to stop any container (boat) from freezing, then the source of heat must be greater than the losses through windows, walls etc.

So my advice is get the biggest (wattage) heater that the supply can manage and have that thermostatically controlled.

Anything less is a total waste of money.