River Hull

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

During our Easter run to Hull we are considering a small detour up the River Hull to visit both Beverley and hopefully Driffield. However we are finding that there is a lack of information on both the navigation rights, authorities and general advise on the journey anywhere on the internet.

So i suppose the general question is who do we contact for information and does anyone have any hints, tips or information on the navigation of the River Hull, Beverley Beck and Driffield navigation?

The general aim would be to leave for Beverly from Hull Marina.

During our Easter run to Hull we are considering a small detour up the River Hull to visit both Beverley and hopefully Driffield. However we are finding that there is a lack of information on both the navigation rights, authorities and general advise on the journey anywhere on the internet.

So i suppose the general question is who do we contact for information and does anyone have any hints, tips or information on the navigation of the River Hull, Beverley Beck and Driffield navigation?

I think the authorities are (in turn) Beverley Council, Driffield Navigation Trust and the Hull Port Authority. This may be out of date, though.

Any navigation advice, I could offer, would be years out of date, I'm afraid.

Ring 01482 300300 (Hull City Council). ABP do not look after the river Hull. The Council has its own Harbour Master. They will give you his contact details and he will be able to sort you out. Remember you give Beverley Beck 24 hours notice and again the HM will be able to give you advice re that and bridge air draft restrictions etc.

Howard

Hi Phylis,

I'm now a member of Ripon Motor Boat Club and on joining I received a copy of their "Cruising Guide to the North East Waterways" - it includes 4 pages of notes on "The river Hull and Driffield Navigation". If you PM me your email address I'll copy them out into a Word document and you can use them as a start point.

Jez

Hi Phylis,

I'm now a member of Ripon Motor Boat Club and on joining I received a copy of their "Cruising Guide to the North East Waterways" - it includes 4 pages of notes on "The river Hull and Driffield Navigation". If you PM me your email address I'll copy them out into a Word document and you can use them as a start point.

Jez

Nice one.

PM sent

Jim Sheads' site has some very basic info. but also contact nos.

Jim Shead linky

You will want to leave as soon as able from Hull Marina (3 hours before high water) to get the maximum airdraft through the bridges. If you are worried about getting through calling the Hull City Council and letting them know you want the bridges lifting you will ensure there are staff available to operate the bridges. They only have a couple of guys these days so they have to leap frog up the river I think. They charge for lifts on Sunday, but tireless efforts of the Hull Bridge Boat Club have kept them manned and free on Saturdays.

If you get stuck, the briges in theory should be manned around high water, and again in theory sounding your horn should open them. In practice I'd doubt that would actually work. The harbour master however should be able to coordinate your passage.

It takes a long time for the water to get up the River Hull due to all the tight bends, so don't go too fast up the river (unless you leave later and get the bridges lifted). Beaware of some seriously dodgy pilings at the edge, many have fallen down and thus have become underwater stakes ready to rip into your boat.

Once past the Hull bridges you have a long stretch upto Beverley Beck, either liase through the council, or the number I have for the lock operator - possibily still Steve (also the same man who lifts Weel bridge) is oh seven 93066 3331.

If you want to continue up river leave about 1 hour before high water Weel and there should be plenty of water up river. However to maximise the amount of depth you may want to plan to be going on during or just after spring tides (the water gets pushed up the river and takes a long while to get back out again).

Rather annoyingly the Driffield Navigation website is down - I'll let someone know - but in the mean time call Christine (Chris) Jackson on oh seven 97 4579 990.

You'll need a licence, but also the lock at Top Hill Low has some funny paddlegear, but there is a fair chance someone will meet you there. As far as getting up to Driffield, not only will you need a handspike, but a smaller boat...

You will easily get to Brigham in NC, and if you want to be a little adventurous (and there is a little water in the river) you should get to Snakeholme lock, but watch out for the silt bar at the fish farm water exit - it's quite hard stuff. The deeper water may be around the bank opposite, but the water is usually clean enough to see the bottom.

Navigation above Snakeholme is subject to the local fish farm, and Chris Jackson will let you know if you can go through. I would sugest however to leave NC at the bottom and run up to Driffield in LC. You should be able to complete the journey in the water without lifting the boat around locks, but there is a bridge over one lock which nessitates some care while filling. Sometime around Easter there has been a dingy cruise, so perhaps you could join in with that.

Do also visit Hull Bridge, the pub there is nice, and Enid the Boat Clubs bar is friend.

Leaving the River Hull can be interesting, the locals will often arrange to arrive at Stoneferry for about 3 hours before high water Hull, but involves passage through local low water, with your boat you could push the incoming tide but you would then have to have the bridges raised.

Cheers,

Mike

Did you get my email with the transcribed cruising notes? I didn't get a bounce back....but if not I'll resend.

Jez

I did thanks yes. It was last thing on friday and has since slipped my mind. Thank you very much they look very comprehensive notes. :cheers: