Whistling on boats

Sunset Rising

Featured Posts

I believe that this stems from the practice onboard Royal Navy vessels of passing orders using a bosuns call (whistle) so someone whistling (a tune) could have lead to confusion (Unless of course someone knows better)

RED HERRINGS AND WHITE ELEPHANTS by ALBERT JACK

"If we are told to 'Whistle for it' the inference is that we are highly unlikely to get the result we want. This is another expression dating back to the early sailing ships...The belief among some sailors was that when the day was still,and the sails empty, they could summon the wind by whistling for it. Other sailors disagreed & felt whistling was the Devil's music & instead of a gentle wind arriving a fierce storm would appear. This also explains the phrase 'whistling in the wind' Often whistling would bring no change in the weather..(no surprises there) but it did lead to another saying 'neither fair wind nor a storm' meaning the action altered nothing at all" :rolleyes:

edited for spelin

Edited by headjog

Music is a big part of my life. I break into whistling a tune without realising it. This led to serious problems in September when myself and a friend were delivering a sail boat from Portugal to the noth of Italy. He was very superstitious about whistling aboard. The longest spell we had at sea was 4 days and tempers were a bit frayed towards the end. Maybe the lack of beer didn't help. :-)