Batteries

floatingphil

Featured Posts

Hi

Sorry to ask but we a quick battery related question. We have 3 x 110ah batteries on board. They are 4 1/2 years old and work fine in general. When we are moored with the inverter is running a tv for 3 or 4 hours plus the lights and eberspacher etc, how long would you expect the power to last before the heater wont play anymore and the inverter alarm sqeeks!? Is 3-4 hours average or am I being optimistic expecting longer. If when the time comes I replace them with say 4 x 115ah, would this make significant difference of should I stay with the same arrangment

Many thanks

Phil

Hi

Sorry to ask but we a quick battery related question. We have 3 x 110ah batteries on board. They are 4 1/2 years old and work fine in general. When we are moored with the inverter is running a tv for 3 or 4 hours plus the lights and eberspacher etc, how long would you expect the power to last before the heater wont play anymore and the inverter alarm sqeeks!? Is 3-4 hours average or am I being optimistic expecting longer. If when the time comes I replace them with say 4 x 115ah, would this make significant difference of should I stay with the same arrangment

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

After 41/2 years I would expect you have had the best out of them. They wont be charging very well and 3- 4 hours is low.

You need a new set. My advice is god quality WET battery's.

IMO 4 X 6V semi traction off about 200A (400A in total at 12V) would be the ultimate.

I can get 10-12 hours out mine when they are fully charged.

Alex

Hi

Many thanks

Phil

Also depends on how well you are charging them, but I would be happy with 4 1/2 years out of a set of batteries.

Sounds like they are knackered I'm afraid prob about 50ah left in them, but you should be pleased with 4 1/2 years. 3 new batts will improve things considerably but 4 would be better. We have 8 knackered 120ah batts which just about cope with 24 hrs use and one charge, so the more you have the longer they will hang on.

Hi Phil.

I agree with Alex. I run a fridge, a freezer, eberspacher, Bubble stove, TV & digi-box, Tecma macerator loo, radio, Management's hair dryer and a 6 minute blast of micr-wave in the time between mooring & pulling the pins. My last set of sealed 4 x110Ah lasted over four years before showing signs of tiredness. I changed them for 4 135Ah unsealed which are fine, although one was a dud which nearly ruined the rest. Had it replaced and all seems to be well.

Best wishes, Bob.

Thanks for the advice guys, I was reckoning that they had seen better days so I think 4 new ones are in order

Phil

If you have the means to get nains aboard it might be worthwhile giving them a long charge and then an equalising charge before giving up on them