Domestic Alternator alarm

Featured Posts

This has been my morning so far.

Looking forward to a wander over to see Paul and Creamcheeses' boat being refloated, I checked my batteries. Enough time for a re-charge i thought so I walloped on the engine and started to make the tea.

It is now 13.00, I have had to stand over the engine panel as the domestic alternator alarm keeps going off and the charging ampage shown on the battery management panel rockets up by about 20 amps. What am I doing wrong? It's going off at least every 3 minutes bt not at regular intervals and in fact has sounded twice since I started typing this post. The only way to cure the problem is to stop the engine and then re-ignite. That can't be doing anything any good?

I've tried raising the revs, putting her into gear, checking the alternator belt (seems rock tight).

Yours in frustration and off to re-start the engine as it's gone off again ....

Wx

It is now 13.00, I have had to stand over the engine panel as the domestic alternator alarm keeps going off and the charging ampage shown on the battery management panel rockets up by about 20 amps. What am I doing wrong? It's going off at least every 3 minutes bt not at regular intervals and in fact has sounded twice since I started typing this post. The only way to cure the problem is to stop the engine and then re-ignite. That can't be doing anything any good?

I've tried raising the revs, putting her into gear, checking the alternator belt (seems rock tight).

Yours in frustration and off to re-start the engine as it's gone off again ....

What type of panel?

Cannot see that 20A charging should be a problem, but is this a temperature alarm or an under voltage alarm?

Could be you have a dodgy battery in the bank!

What type of panel?

Cannot see that 20A charging should be a problem, but is this a temperature alarm or an under voltage alarm?

Could be you have a dodgy battery in the bank!

Beta 'A' panel where the light and alarm are, and an Adverc battery management panel. Hmm not sure if it's temperature or under voltage - will toddle off to check. Batteries are as new as the boat - installed in April this year ...

If it was a wobbly battery would the alarm simply sound all the time. It's been running without the alarm going off for about 30 minutes which is a - a blessed relief and b - the longest it's gone all day with exploding into life can only be a matter of time though). Mind you, she's still only got down to 40 amps charge going in so this could be a very long day ....

Beta 'A' panel where the light and alarm are, and an Adverc battery management panel. Hmm not sure if it's temperature or under voltage - will toddle off to check. Batteries are as new as the boat - installed in April this year ...

I've had a connector on the domestic alternator cabling on a Beta become unplugged (just under the deck), but I suppose if it is not fully connected could cause an intermittent problem?

Thought they only lit up if the belt snapped normally!

If the alarm is concurrent with a sudden rise in current then it is also concurrent with a sudden rise in voltage and the alarm is probably warning of an over voltage. It could be that your engine panel doesn't like the adverc ramping up the charge to a voltage that would normally be considered a damaging overcharge, or it could be that a fault has developed. I would be inclined to disconnect the adverc and see if the alarm goes away. There are several things that could cause this but best first to see if it's adverc or alternator based.

I was just about to say the same - Our Beta 43 wiring loom has a multiway connector shrouded in a pair of overlapping boots to keep spray out and stop you seeing whether they are fully connected or have become "loose" - Ours seemed to pull apart very easily, so I have held together for the moment with a tie-wrap around it - I will take all connectors out, crimp them up a bit and re-assemble. They are definitely not tight enough at the moment, and I guess this might cause the electronics to mis-behave...

Nick

If the alarm is concurrent with a sudden rise in current then it is also concurrent with a sudden rise in voltage and the alarm is probably warning of an over voltage. It could be that your engine panel doesn't like the adverc ramping up the charge to a voltage that would normally be considered a damaging overcharge, or it could be that a fault has developed. I would be inclined to disconnect the adverc and see if the alarm goes away. There are several things that could cause this but best first to see if it's adverc or alternator based.

Hello Snibs,

I\ve checked all the connectors - none loose. So how do I disconnect the Adverc or shall I just wait for the electrician to call me? The system has all of 53 hours on it but I'm not sure where I stand in terms of warranty ....

There may well be no fault, remember the adverc raises the voltage to silly levels to boost charge then drops it back before the system gets too hot and bothered before lifting it again. It could be that the state of charge is such that the voltage is going all the way up and triggering an over volt alarm. Similarly if the adverc has gone tits up it could be failing to regulate and going full field and causing the same effect. If you can disconnect the wire that comes out of the alternator to the adverc then the system should fall back onto the alternator's own regulator and if the problem is with the adverc then no more alarm. Fixes nothing of course but it is diagnostic. Best bloke to know the ins and outs of this is probably Arnot, I would pm him if he doesn't show up of his own volition.

There may well be no fault, remember the adverc raises the voltage to silly levels to boost charge then drops it back before the system gets too hot and bothered before lifting it again. It could be that the state of charge is such that the voltage is going all the way up and triggering an over volt alarm. Similarly if the adverc has gone tits up it could be failing to regulate and going full field and causing the same effect. If you can disconnect the wire that comes out of the alternator to the adverc then the system should fall back onto the alternator's own regulator and if the problem is with the adverc then no more alarm. Fixes nothing of course but it is diagnostic. Best bloke to know the ins and outs of this is probably Arnot, I would pm him if he doesn't show up of his own volition.

Okay, I think the cavalry has come galloping to the rescue. I've spoken to the electrician and tried the same test - it appears that it may well be the alternator may well not be working properly (internal regulator perhaps?) as the alarm continues even when the Adverc connector is detached. So, he's coming with another alternator on Monday to see if we can fix the problem. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hello Snibs,

I\ve checked all the connectors - none loose. So how do I disconnect the Adverc or shall I just wait for the electrician to call me? The system has all of 53 hours on it but I'm not sure where I stand in terms of warranty ....

There is a bit of a compatibility issue between aadvarks and some alternators, I won't bore you with the technicalities unless you suffer from insomnia.

To disable the aadvark either pull the plug on the main control unit or, if it's easier, disconnect the extra wire that snake into the alternator, it's usually green.

I wouldn't change the alternator as a precsutionary measure at this stage, it's far more likely to be the aadvark. If it is this problem, it tends to occur when the batteries are nearly charged and if you switch off, discharge the batteries and start up again the problem geos away for a while.

If you are any where near Stone in Staffordshire I can come and have a look if you want.

A loose engine connector on a Beta won't bring the buzzer on so you can rule that out. sometimes a spike in the voltage can trigger the warning systems built into the oil pressure or engine temperature guages but this is unusal and when it does happen it is usually permanent.

If it is the aadvark then you could consider just disconnecting it permanently. The alternators fitted to the Beta engines are pretty dammned good as they leave the factory and unless you have an unusual battery setup or usage pattern it probably isn't helping much.

Regards

Arnot