Respect for fellow boaters

Scooby

Featured Posts

I'd rather give up boating than adopt that patronising load of tosh.

Carl, as a seasoned boater, you may find the web site contents patronising, somewhat akin to teaching granny to suck eggs.

But, to new boaters, it may be extremely helpful to learn from the outset, something that may have otherwise taken years to acknowledge.

If one piece of consideration is gleaned from 'that patronising load of tosh', then it will have served its purpose!

Ready, steady, go.....................:argue:

Ready, steady, go.....................:argue:

The "Considerate Boater" thing has already been done to death in previous threads, and it all got very boring.

So I don't intend to get sucked in again this time.

(Other than a agreeing it really is a patronising load of tosh!...... :lol:)

:P Could that outrageous remark be possibly interpreted as racist? :help:

Just that the 'all narrow canals' remark clearly came from someone who hasn't experienced the delights of our Northern WIDE canals (and rivers).

'Broad' seems to be an inbetween category devised by BW for the likes of the GU.

Tim

Just that the 'all narrow canals' remark clearly came from someone who hasn't experienced the delights of our Northern WIDE canals (and rivers).'Broad' seems to be an inbetween category devised by BW for the likes of the GU.

Tim

Quite possibly so. In my short time on the forum, I've (eventually) learned to decline from commenting on issues or areas

where I've not experienced. I've found, that it saves fending off all of the abuse that you come to expect on such a friendly site! :rolleyes:

All BW canals are narrow waterways, even the so-called broad canals, and as this forum is called CanalWorld, it is not unreasonabe to assume that most threads will concern narrow waterways.

What about the Gloucester and Sharpness, the world's largest waterway when built, and the Aire & Calder today is similar in size to many European waterways. Out of over 3000 miles of inland waterway in Britain, only 1200 have locks seven feet wide. If you want to lump British inland waterways together, you are better calling them small rather than narrow, and as mentioned above, not all are small by international standards.

To get back to 'respect for fellow boaters' briefly... Last night (not wildly late, maybe 11pm) some complete spanner zoomed past us towards Bulls Bridge. Nothing unusual there, didn't bother us too much, but WHY was he bellowing through a load hailer?!

I am bemused, to say the least.

(Couldn't hear what he was saying, but I think it was something about 'being surrounded' :D )

Just been struck by a speeding boater. Currently moored just up from kings bromley wharf canal is a mile wide. No excuse all for hitting us.

He looked well under the influence to me and boating in the dark not a good mix

Made no to attempt stop, first real bad experience we've had like this I do hope I meet him further up the cut tomorrow .