Rothens Coal Yard

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

Now Rothens are no longer using the yard does anyone know what the plans are for the site or who owns it?

It would be a nice little yard for someone and a shame to see it get vandalised or unsympathetically utilised.

I think BW own the freehold. Bet they've got plans for housing.

But why not ask Rothens?

http://www.therothengroup.co.uk/

Incidentally its worth looking at Rothen's boat brochure - I dound it interesting anyway. Its a PDF accessible from their Workboat hire page.

Paul

I'm sorry to hear that Rothen's are no longer using the wharf by Atherstone top lock. When we moored at Springwood Haven we often went past there and it was like stepping back in time. a small but fascinating glimpse of what the waterways must have looked like in the era of commercial carrying. There was usually at least one coal-laden joey boat alongside, although I suppose that this was used for storage and not for transportation. It must surely have been one of the last working waterside coal wharves, too.

So when did they move from there and where is their wharf now?

Edited by Athy