Stephill vs Honda generators

drunkensailor

Featured Posts

I want a generator. It isn't for regular use, I just want something that will let me use power tools, and to get me out of occasional trouble with flat batteries. It will stay locked up away from the boat; no need to bother with storage, although within reason the smaller the better.

I thought about one of the suitcase generators, but to be honest I think I'd be paying for quietness and a smooth output when there's no reason to. The tools I want to use won't mind.

Saying that although I want to spend as little as I can, I do want quality and it needs to be something you can get spares for. So I've narrowed it down to these three:

Honda EC2000

http://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/honda/hondaec2000.htm

Stephill SE2400

http://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/stephill/stephill_se2400.htm

Pramac E3200

http://www.edgetechnology.co.uk/pramac/pramac_e3200.htm

So which one would you buy? Anything up to about £400.

So which one would you buy?

Probably the Stephill - they have such a good reputation. However, any of those three would be good. How about asking Edge which one they'd recommend?

Tony

Have you considered " Kipor Generators...

But OP said he wanted "reliable" ;)

:::coat:::

Have you checked the power rating of your powertools? A 1.6Kw genny might struggle to run a lot of powertools. I have a 3Kw genny, which works hard when I use the 2Kw angle grinder heavy. I'm not sure about the exact percentage, but you should always allow for a higher Kw rating of your genny, over your expected consumption.

Probably the Stephill - they have such a good reputation. However, any of those three would be good. How about asking Edge which one they'd recommend?

I must admit, I am leaning towards the Stephill. Especially as I've just found somewhere that's selling them for £270.

As to power ratings, they will all cope with my tools, I've already checked. But thank you.

Edited by drunkensailor

So which one would you buy? Anything up to about £400.

They're all virtually the same, same engine, similar electrical spec slightly different amounts of power being claimed or attempted. try asking Edge which they recommend.

I'd also rather a Kipor over these, if only in consideration of my neighbours but I'd probably want one from somewhere where i could enforce the warranty. There's the occasional duff one.

I would be interested to know if there were any reports on the SDMO inverter generator. or the Clarke, Sterling or Hylundai ones on a quick google.

• Greenie 1