calorifier connection

panji

Featured Posts

Hi there, am just about to run up the plumbing to my copperform horizontal calorifier . I noted on the instructions for the 3 bar PRV that it should be fitted vertically on the top hot water outlet, only problem is i could do with another 1' above the top of the tank to fit it totally vertical which i dont have, so can i fit it off vertical at 45 or 90 degrees which woud be ideal? I assume most of these are fitted on vertical calorifers so would be the most obvious way to fit it in line with the direct pressure exiting from the calorifier, which is how i fitted the last one. Any ideas , pictures , diagrams on fag packets would be most welcome. Also can i use flexible hoses direct off the copper tails onto the hot and cold returns as it would make the pipe work less complicated in a small space and create a better flow . many thanks carlos.

Hi there, am just about to run up the plumbing to my copperform horizontal calorifier . I noted on the instructions for the 3 bar PRV that it should be fitted vertically on the top hot water outlet, only problem is i could do with another 1' above the top of the tank to fit it totally vertical which i dont have, so can i fit it off vertical at 45 or 90 degrees which woud be ideal? I assume most of these are fitted on vertical calorifers so would be the most obvious way to fit it in line with the direct pressure exiting from the calorifier, which is how i fitted the last one. Any ideas , pictures , diagrams on fag packets would be most welcome. Also can i use flexible hoses direct off the copper tails onto the hot and cold returns as it would make the pipe work less complicated in a small space and create a better flow . many thanks carlos.

It does not matter where in the system the PRV is fitted provided it is after the pump. Remember the cold feed goes into the calorifier and the hot goes out therefore the whole freshwater system is pressurised by the expanding water of a calorifier heating up.

Fit the PRV via a 't' piece and direct the overflow to either a container that you can empty now and again or to a skin fitting directing excess water goes 'over the side'. I prefer not to have the PRV empty into the bilge as I like a dry bilge.

Ditchdabbler

Many new calorifiers have a non return valve on the cold inlet, if so the PRV should be fitted after it, this is not practical as the valve is right next to the inlet of the calorifier, best to fit it on the hot outlet side.

It does not matter where in the system the PRV is fitted provided it is after the pump. Remember the cold feed goes into the calorifier and the hot goes out therefore the whole freshwater system is pressurised by the expanding water of a calorifier heating up.

I have fitted our PRV's on the cold inlet side of the calorifiers and connect to a skinfitting.

This will only work if there is not, as Bottle suggests is often the case, a non-return valve on the inlet to the calorifier.

On something like the Surecal/Surejust range, the presence of an NRV is fairly un-obvious, and not fully documented, but a PRV fitted to the cold inlet would actually be useless in that kind of case.

This will only work if there is not, as Bottle suggests is often the case, a non-return valve on the inlet to the calorifier.

On something like the Surecal/Surejust range, the presence of an NRV is fairly un-obvious, and not fully documented, but a PRV fitted to the cold inlet would actually be useless in that kind of case.

Yes I should have pointed that out, we don't have NRV's. If a PRV is fitted on the inlet it should go between the calorifier and the NRV