Regent Canal

matty40s

Featured Posts

Regent Canal blocked by Maida Vale Tinnel doe to "Enviroment Incident"

One of the Oil cooled High Voltage cables at the Little Venice end of the tunnel mouth has split, releasing oil.

The Canal is currently closed at Little Venice onwards, the other side probably from Camden Top Lock.

Hope it gets fixed quickly as the angel boat festival is this weekend.

Stoppage: Lisson Grove to Hampstead Road Lock

02 - 03 Sep 2010

Associated Regional Office: London Waterways

The navigation is closed to permit the clean up from an environmenal incident.

(Enquiries: 0207098507200)

The towpath is also closed

Edited by matty40s

Not been trying to hammer stakes through those tow-path slabs, after you have failed to find a London mooring at one of the recognised sites, have you, Matty ?

The cables in the towpath are water cooled, there are a number of pumping stations along the Regents and you can see outfalls at various points. It was a bit disconcerting to see water spouting out of the towpath the first time I saw it!

I assume that the oil has come from the one of the massive transformers at St Johns Wood sub-station which is canal side at the mouth of Maida Hill tunnel - contractors are currently working on upgrading the electricity grid on the towpath here at present.

Tim

Yes, thats where the fault is Tim.

Not been trying to hammer stakes through those tow-path slabs, after you have failed to find a London mooring at one of the recognised sites, have you, Matty ?

Alan, as if......

The cables were hanging out so I just wrapped one round the front..... and one round the tiller post instead of the ropes :P

Currently stuck in Paddington Basin, held up be the stoppage......with lots of other boats, they were hoping to get it open today, but the private contractors are having problems geeting the teenage apprentices to move the booms correctly and it may be sat or sun before the problem solved.

The cables in the towpath are water cooled, there are a number of pumping stations along the Regents and you can see outfalls at various points. It was a bit disconcerting to see water spouting out of the towpath the first time I saw it!

I assume that the oil has come from the one of the massive transformers at St Johns Wood sub-station which is canal side at the mouth of Maida Hill tunnel - contractors are currently working on upgrading the electricity grid on the towpath here at present.

Tim

It is unlikely to be a transformer leak - they hold a serious amount of oil and the ones that I have seen are all properly bunded. I think the cables are oil filled - going the other way I know they are. I assume there must be an oil/water heat exchanger to cool the oil that in turn cools (and insulates) the cables?

Richard

Non-BW Update from on the spot reporter for CWF TV

I've just finished work and got home,I went on waterscape at 10pm to see if there were any updates ,but there were none. So thought I would walk round and see if anything was going on.

Strangely enough, the BW office boat Jena has disappeared, this was supposed to be going to islington for the festival, however, the A-board is still there inviting you onboard.(I hope it's not in Braille too)

Looked up to the tunnel entrance and the work boat which was preventing access has gone.

So, I presume the Regent is open again.

However, would you take my word over BW's if you were going to cruise the Canal tommorow, if you were planning your weekend out and going to do the festival from 5 or 10 milesaway, no,I don't blame you?

Why not phone BW instead...."Our office hours are Monday to Fr.........."