Walking the Montgomery Canal

Featured Posts

On the way back from a cycle ride round Lake Vyrnwy

we parked up near Montgomerys Vyrnwy viaduct and went for a stroll up the towpath as far as Bridge No 95. You know something its an absolute disgrace that this section is still unnavigable even though it has been restored since the early 80's (based on the lock gate build dates. Of course there are lowered bridges and a unrestored section to contend with before this can happen but what a travesty that after 40 years of restoration efforts there is still no sign of light at the end of the tunnel. Looking at the condition of the gates they will need repalcing again! Got talking to one of the locals who was out walking and he reckoned that it will never reopen. (politics getting in the way I assume. :glare:

Edited by bag 'o' bones

When I was very young I used to play in the canal bed below Frankton Locks. We were told, by a chap who was something to do with it's restoration, that we could cruise to Welshpool within 3 years. Now i'm all grown up and on my own boat moored at Maesbury Marsh, the current limit, and i'll be lucky if it's open all the way within my cruising lifetime..

Casp'

Casp

How many miles is it from Frankton Locks to Maesbury Marsh - only asking as we are travelling that way next week.

Steve

From Canalplan AC:

Shropshire Union Canal (Montgomery Canal - connected and navigable)

From Frankton Junction to: Frankton Bottom Lock No 4 0 miles, 2 flg, 3 locks

Weston Branch Junction Junction of Weston Branch with Montgomery Canal 0 miles, 2 flg, 1 lock

Graham Palmer LockNew lock inserted to lower next pound 0 miles, 1¼ flg, 0 locks

Perry Aqueduct 0 miles, 6¾ flg, 1 lock

Rednal Basin 1 mile, 2½ flg, 0 locks

Queen's Head Bridge 1 mile, 1 flg, 0 locks

Aston Top Lock No 5 0 miles, 2¼ flg, 0 locks

Aston Bottom Lock No 7 0 miles, 5¼ flg, 2 locks

Maesbury Marsh Bridge No 79Maesbury Marsh Village to the north. Current Limit (Spring 2003) of Navigation 1 mile, 1½ flg, 1 lock Total distance is 6 miles, ¾ flg and 8 locks. There is at least 1 small aqueduct or underbridge.

This is made up of 6 miles, ¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 8 narrow locks.

This will take 4 hours and 2 minutes. The trip can be done in one day so no overnight stopping places have been calculated

Stewey

Not sure when we will get there, will probably ring and book when we get through Grindley Brook.

Stewey - thanks for the distance info, we will probably stay overnight.

Steve

You have to book passage by the latest 10am on day of travel - locks open noon-2pm only, so overnight is a must unless you're really, really, really fast LOL. The Ellesmere arm is quite popular a stop off for the night prior - supply stop in the form of a Tesco's at the end of the arm and a walk into town is short for a variety of pubs.

You have to book passage by the latest 10am on day of travel - locks open noon-2pm only, so overnight is a must unless you're really, really, really fast LOL. The Ellesmere arm is quite popular a stop off for the night prior - supply stop in the form of a Tesco's at the end of the arm and a walk into town is short for a variety of pubs.

Overnight is a must, because BW will not accept down and up bookings for the same day

• 1 month later...

Canal plan is not up to date. The monty terminates at the winding hole at Gronwen Wharf if your lucky you will be able to wave to Barry Tuffin he of Maesbury Marine Services as he lives in the wharf cottage. You will have to go through what seems like the heaviest lift bridge on the system and be tempted to wind in the mill arm just after it. Please don't as any error and you'll crush the boat that looks like the african queen moored on the corner. I posted photos on nicks website over 3 years ago but its still not updated. Do stop at the Navigation Inn its a real treat, beware closed mondays!!

Canal plan is not up to date. The monty terminates at the winding hole at Gronwen Wharf if your lucky you will be able to wave to Barry Tuffin he of Maesbury Marine Services as he lives in the wharf cottage. You will have to go through what seems like the heaviest lift bridge on the system and be tempted to wind in the mill arm just after it. Please don't as any error and you'll crush the boat that looks like the african queen moored on the corner. I posted photos on nicks website over 3 years ago but its still not updated. Do stop at the Navigation Inn its a real treat, beware closed mondays!!

That bridge is designed for Euro lorries of 38 tons who then have to go through a ford before turning round as the next bridge has a weight limit of 10 tons. It's getting crazy with the rules and regs - for example yesterday they had to put a new electris pole in to raise the wires to our house to a minimum 5.5 metres - just in case a massive lorry drives though all the single track road to my drive at the end of a 3 house dead end lane and hit the wires. Of course said lorry has to get over my bridge which takes much less than 30 tons before it collapses but, by raising all the wires in the area (at what) cost - 3 houses took a day - the electric company are complieing with the lastest rules on a one rule fits all basis.