Chertsey's castles

Chertsey

Featured Posts

I finally got round to putting some protective varnish on Chertsey's castles the other week. They've been spared the worst ravages of the elements as the boat was unused for so long. They date from at least the early 70s when the current cabin was put on, but it's been suggested to me that they might be older than that. I think they're rather nice; does the style suggest any particular painter to anyone? Afraid I've not put them on Photobucket (they're on the wrong computer) but they are here and here.

I finally got round to putting some protective varnish on Chertsey's castles the other week. They've been spared the worst ravages of the elements as the boat was unused for so long. They date from at least the early 70s when the current cabin was put on, but it's been suggested to me that they might be older than that. I think they're rather nice; does the style suggest any particular painter to anyone? Afraid I've not put them on Photobucket (they're on the wrong computer) but they are here and here.

Lees and Atkins Polesworth. Lovely.

Looking at the style of painting, the reflections and hills in particular, it looks as though there were two different painters involved.The pathway on one example appears to have been crudely overpainted. Regards HughC

Looking at the style of painting, the reflections and hills in particular, it looks as though there were two different painters involved.The pathway on one example appears to have been crudely overpainted. Regards HughC

Comments (paraphrased) from over my shoulder last night from someone who knows more than I

"....looks like after Frank Nurser. Interesting mixture of confidence and uncertainty in the brushwork.

The boats are actually sailing which is unusual (though, my comment, the flags are going the other way :lol: ).

Nurser did paint minaret-style castles, and not that unusual to have two different styles of castle together or a 'solid' red road. The brickwork on the LH bridge isn't finished. Not too many people painted reflections in the water.

Could almost be a Liz Leech but it isn't :lol:..... "

Tim (who noes nerthing)

This is just a personal opinion - on the 'right' boat ie of Chertsey's age and provenance they look great and I do rather like the the style of those - distinctly different from a lot that you see.

Hi Sarah

I can't suggest a painter, I'm afraid, tho' Ive never seen castle reflections in the water from dockyard painters. I suspect someone with art training/experience who has looked at pictures of old work as models. Certainly better than some of the stuff I've seen! I won't go on.....on holiday prior to working at Beale.

Cheers

Dave

I don't claim to be any sort of authority on these but it seems fairly obvious to me that although they are probably the work of a single artist, they are not a matched pair and may not have painted at the same time. I say this because most pairs of doors that I have seen clearly share shapes, colours and shades. Whatever their origin, I do like them and hope you don't mind if I use your photographs as a guide when I repaint Alnwick's castles . . .

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Alnwick's point is really brought home by seeing them one above the other - which of course I never had before!

Perhaps I should have posted the roses too - though these in my uninformed opinion, while perfectly OK, are far less distinctive - I guess lending weight to Dave's view.

Looking at them like this, I wouldn't be surprised if the r/h (i.e. bottom) one was a different artist copying the style of the l/h (top) one, which to my eye hangs together much better and is more 'alive'.

Edited by Chertsey

They are very nice and cant help thinking they will deteriorate over time if left on the doors. I would consider getting them off if thats possible with minimal damage and displaing them inside the boat

Charles

As the whole boat is beautiful but will require constant maintenance, to prevent the inevitable deterioration, by leaving it in the canal, wouldn't the best thing be to lift the whole thing out, and place it under cover, to preserve it? :lol:

Door panels and their decoration can be preserved, indefinitely, using the correct protection from the elements, without hiding them away.

As the whole boat is beautiful but will require constant maintenance, to prevent the inevitable deterioration, by leaving it in the canal, wouldn't the best thing be to lift the whole thing out, and place it under cover, to preserve it? :lol:

Yes, they're pleasing examples of boat decoration, not 'Old Masters'.

There might be an argument for taking them off if they were very good examples of work by one of the 'big names from the past'(they're not), but otherwise just look after and enjoy them, if the doors themselves get too tired then take them home and have new ones painted.

Tim

Door panels and their decoration can be preserved, indefinitely, using the correct protection from the elements, without hiding them away.

Indeed. If I were to take them off, what would I put in their place? They are the right thing in the right location, and part of the boat's character and its history. If you look at the photos you can see that there are traces of old varnish on them which I haven't tried to remove, no have I attempted to re-fill the screw holes. I've attempted no restoration other than a careful clean to get the worst (but by no means all) of the grime off. I am now hopeful that regular application of Craftmaster varnish (which is non-yellowing) will halt any further deterioration in its tracks and that, as Carl says, they can be kept like this indefinitely.

However, the paint has all rubbed off the tops of the door panels, so you might have laughed to see me putting little plastic bag rainhats on them each time it rained, as I didn't want any damp getting down behind the newly varnished fronts.

By the way, the photos were taken just before I applied the first coat of varnish. They are a lot shinier now and richer looking.

Edited by Chertsey

Indeed. If I were to take them off, what would I put in their place? They are the right thing in the right location, and part of the boat's character and its history. If you look at the photos you can see that there are traces of old varnish on them which I haven't tried to remove, no have I attempted to re-fill the screw holes. I've attempted no restoration other than a careful clean to get the worst (but by no means all) of the grime off. I am now hopeful that regular application of Craftmaster varnish (which is non-yellowing) will halt any further deterioration in its tracks and that, as Carl says, they can be kept like this indefinitely.

However, the paint has all rubbed off the tops of the door panels, so you might have laughed to see me putting little plastic bag rainhats on them each time it rained, as I didn't want any damp getting down behind the newly varnished fronts.

By the way, the photos were taken just before I applied the first coat of varnish. They are a lot shinier now and richer looking.

Stick to your varnish, it will see you, and me, out. They are lovely.