Brentford Overhanging Warehouse

WJM

Featured Posts

When it was all the old dock it was great in there, but it's all gone now, just demolish it, an old wriggly tin shed is not very interesting is it. There's nothing much you can do with it.

Agreed, I'm not sure what you could do with a corrugated tim building without it looking like a corrugated tin building.

Sleaford's waterfront had a derelict warehouse that 'had to be saved', despite many thinking it had no merit (apologies for the poor photoshop).

Untitled.jpg

A scheme was devised to restore the structure, with some aditional building added to make the project viable..... :rolleyes:

hub.jpg

Hub2.jpg

Hub3.jpg

The new build went ahead some years ago and I feel, totally dominates the area and completely detracts from the old warehouse and its significance at the head of navigation of the, under restoration, waterway. All that said the scheme for the area also included the restoration of Navigation House from a parlous state so wasn't all bad.... :rolleyes:

NavigationHouse.jpg

This is thought to be the last remaining company offices of a small, rural navigation company.

After

NavigationHouse2.jpg

DSC_1955.jpg

I'm glad I'm not there anymore - I remember when all our boats got covered with concrete asbestos dust during he demolition. I contacted the HSE about it. Apparently it's good for you! :P

I expect the redevelopment will continue for several noisy years. I haven't seen the plans but the end result will probably mean the marina sits inside an urban canyon. Nobody seems to have to have though about what will happen in winter when in certain climatic conditions the smoke and fumes from the chimneys of boats will fill the canyon and just stay there. Mind you, it's usually windy enough there to blow it all away.

Edited by blackrose