Excel Boat Show

iteldoo4me

Featured Posts

Despite the shortfall of narrowboats at Excel last year,and even less the year before,the numbers are now obviously increasing,..is anyone going this coming new year,(I seem to always find a reason to go,like a good day out,see if anything new on the scene,meet up with fellow comrades of the waterways, etc etc)and any comments about its popularity increase?

Edited by iteldoo4me

Nope,

I went the first year it was at Excel and was pretty disappointed.. Obviously waterscape etc.. had exaggerated how much canal things there were.

So it has put me off from going ever since really.

Despite the shortfall of narrowboats at Excel last year,and even less the year before,the numbers are now obviously increasing,..is anyone going this coming new year,(I seem to always find a reason to go,like a good day out,see if anything new on the scene,meet up with fellow comrades of the waterways, etc etc)and any comments about its popularity increase?

All are welcome to pop by our stand N1905 (waterscape.com inland feature) to say hello.

Happy New Year

Rob

This is not the show for the remember how it used to be brigade!

But if you want to look at how it might be in the future it's a good show for those who like technology with the prices of inland waterways craft nearing that of the gin palace yacht brigade a lot of the equipment suppliers are waking up to a largely unnoticed corner of the industry.

If you want to go find out about the latest electrical systems, heating systems and engines this is the show to go to. Unlike the inlandwaterways shows the suppliers tend to have their best people present to answer the questions you might need to ask.

Also if you take your cheque book some of the show specials on electrical items in past years have been very worth while. (Big fall outs have happened between well known suppliers over RRP policy!) ;)

I believe there was a big drop in attendance numbers when it moved from Earls Court.

However, I went last year and enjoyed it immensely.

I worked on stands at the Earls Court Show and hated it - it had a very artificial feel and we were always situated upstairs on the balcony so it was always too dry/hot and there weren't many places to eat at a reasonable price.

The Docks are a much better place with a good selection of boats on the dock including some ships to tour.

For obvious reasons, it has a much more natural and spacious feel to it.

I always think the Docklands Light Railway are a treat as they pass over everything on an elevated gantry.

If you have a lot of time or are staying over, take the train to Limehouse Basin to see the sea lock into the river - its famous for its difficult approach from the river across the tide.

Some narrowboats usually make the journey through the Woolwich Barrier to visit Excel - I think the St.Pancras Cruising Club organise something.

There aren't many IW boats on display but there are lots of ancillary services like engines, electrical, chandlery etc.

Edited by NB Willawaw