Boat Paint

Featured Posts

I am preparing to paint my boat and I cant decide whether to use a good quality coach paint aka Craftmaster or a Two Pack which the manufacturer tells me I can apply by roller and brush, as I would coach paint. Whilst the Two Pack is cheaper, that is not the overiding reason for choice. I want a paint that will last. Does anybody have any experience/views??

I am preparing to paint my boat and I cant decide whether to use a good quality coach paint aka Craftmaster or a Two Pack which the manufacturer tells me I can apply by roller and brush, as I would coach paint. Whilst the Two Pack is cheaper, that is not the overiding reason for choice. I want a paint that will last. Does anybody have any experience/views??

Has the boat got 2 pack or single pack on it at the moment?

Generally you shouldn't paint 2 pack over a single pack

There certain arcylic single pack paints out there that will take 2 pack without a reaction but even then they could still react so not recommended.

You boat will have undoubtedly have originally been painted with oil based enamel 2 pack will act more like a paint stripper in this case.

It is possible to over coat an unknown paint succesfully as long as a barrier primer coat specifically designed for the job is applied first.

My advice is to pop along to a car paint supplier and have a chat.

2 pack is superior to traditional paints in many ways, not least that it stays shiny for a lot longer! (if a little plasticky)

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I was told my paint is two pack but how would I test that? The Xylene test worked on the hull. Would that work on the cabin paint?

I would have thought so. put a bit on a sponge and allow it to sit on the paint for a bit. If there is a reaction it should be pretty obvious. :lol:

So, if I find out it is two pack, would it be better to repaint in two pack or coach paint?

2 pack definately.

Coach paint is old technology. The best method of protecting steel in its day but like most things paint technology has improved since.

Sure a decent coat of coach paint will protect steel the steel for years and years. but don't expect it to retain its colour or shine. 2 pack on the other hand is extermily hard wearing and will retain its colour and shine for far longer.

Of course any paints durability depends on good preparation. Skimp on the prep and the paint will fail sooner.

Dhutch's 'Emily Ann' is painted in 2 pack i'm sure he said the paint is still looking good even after 10 years. :lol:

So this is the blurb from the manufacturer. Is this the sort of paint I should be applying?

"A two pack isocyanate free acrylic gloss one coat finish for plant, machinery and structural steel applications. The high build finish can be applied as a single coat reducing application costs and VOC emissions.

The high gloss finish exhibits good opacity, scratch resistance and flexibility. With a pot life of 8 hours repeated mixing during shifts can be avoided."

Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by Old Son

So this is the blurb from the manufacturer. Is this the sort of paint I should be applying?

"A two pack isocyanate free acrylic gloss one coat finish for plant, machinery and structural steel applications. The high build finish can be applied as a single coat reducing application costs and VOC emissions.

The high gloss finish exhibits good opacity, scratch resistance and flexibility. With a pot life of 8 hours repeated mixing during shifts can be avoided."

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes. where have you sourced the paint from?

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Think I would try coach paint on the sides and some other paint but not isocyanate on the roofs, decks, gunnel.

Then see how they look/last.

Are you going to do a single colour scheme?

cheers,

Pete.

I was thinking of two colours, one on the roof, front and rear deck areas and the other to the sides of the cabin area. I think I should use the same type of paint throughout. I will also be adding a coachline using the roof colour to the sides. (if that makes sense)