Water, Waste and Fuel Tank Senders and Gages

Biggles

Featured Posts

I am now at the stage of needing a water tank contents sender and gage. Of course I will also need in time fuel and waste gages as well.

I would welcome recommendations. I have seen these, they look good. Anyone got reviews on them?

Biggles

I have one on the water tank and find it useful. I know the loo tank lasts about 21 days so I look down the pan to check the level and as for the diesel tank I dip that after a couple of weeks

We have recently bought a boat with water and waste tank guages from Mid Service Centre.

We've not had them long enough to test them completely thoroughly, but initial indications are that they are very good.

Certainly, we haven't had an empty water tank in spite of a reading indicating a reasonable amount of water left, and neither have we experienced a full loo tank with the guage saying otherwise. These being the two situations we'd most like to avoid.

We would have liked a diesel tank guage, too, but our boatbuilder wasn't happy with the accuracy of those available.

Bob.

I have the previous models (the only difference is the gauge, mine are the needle display not LCD) on propulsion, domestic diesel tanks, also water and waste tanks.

Work well and are fairly accurate, just like car gauges.

Their accuracy can be improved by making sure that the gauge reads empty or full when the tank actually is, :lol: they are adjustable on the sender unit.

Edited by bottle

I fitted the needle type water guage and waste tank guage 2 years ago and have been very pleased. They are accurate once set.

One hint I would give....on the water guage....you set it by removing the cover and then setting the full point...and then the empty point. I did this and then replaced the cover and rotated the sender unit 90 degrees as I had a top cover for the compartment...but I found that rotating the sender changes the reading....so I now rotate it to its final position and then adjust it for that....I guess the pressure reading changes ?

I did 'blow' the chip in the sender once but found a new one on Ebay...(20p !) .. This was on the Thames where there was a very thick (maybe 1.5 inch hose) for water....it was a tight fit into my water filler and then when you turned it on it came out like a fire hose....the pressure was so huge it blew the sender...

The sender has one small chip (which is actually a preamflifier) and I soldered a holder on so if it ever happened again I could just plug a new one in.....but I think now I understand that it can be overloaded it won't happen.

I have the waste tank guage as we have a remote tank...and it works very well.

Bob

The only addition to tips on the water sender. Mine froze over winter, the diaphragm split, and it emptied the contents of my tank into the bilges. The water was turned off and drained down at the time, and the drip was so slow that it went unnoticed until the spring.

Lee

I am now at the stage of needing a water tank contents sender and gage. Of course I will also need in time fuel and waste gages as well.

I would welcome recommendations. I have seen these, they look good. Anyone got reviews on them?

Biggles

Have a look at Fozmula. I was looking at MSC but Fozmula were cheaper and the fuel gauge comes with an alarm set at 1/8 full that can be used for audio and visual indication. Also fits tanks upto 2m deep - probably not a problem on a narrow boat!!!!