Tidal Thames to Barking Creek

jordy

Featured Posts

Just had a cruise to barking creek this past weekend with St Pancrass CC ... Have to say it was the best trip Ive been on so far! :lol: perfect weather, great BBQ ! finaly passing through the thames barrier!! Cant wait for an opportunity to do it again! (next time i'll even take my own Boat.. not just crew for the neighbours!!! :lol: ) video's to youtube to come soon!

Guest wanted
Just had a cruise to barking creek this past weekend with St Pancrass CC ... Have to say it was the best trip Ive been on so far! :lol: perfect weather, great BBQ ! finaly passing through the thames barrier!! Cant wait for an opportunity to do it again! (next time i'll even take my own Boat.. not just crew for the neighbours!!! :lol: ) video's to youtube to come soon!

I look forwrds to seeing that. Sounds ace, what boat did you take?

I did the trip with SPCC a couple of years ago - a few photos:

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/barking_creek&page=all

Tim

It was a fantastic trip, one of those that will really be a great memory. Many many many thanks to St Pancras Cruising Club for organising this! If you have never done the tideway then have a look at the events page on their site - click here. The good people of Barking also deserve a mention for being so welcoming, what a place to go to on a saturday night!

Our write up of the outbound trip is here. Next page is all photos, we will add return trip and photos shortly.

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

I will go with the SPCC for a Thames barrier cruise sometime. I met a couple of their members about 6 weeks ago in the Limehouse basin and they invited me to join them but unfortunately I had crew arriving and had arranged a go out onto the tideway up to Brentford the day before so we couldn't do it. Going out as far as the barrier isn't something I'd want to do alone - I'd rather be following someone who's done it before. Plus I'm not insured past the barrier!

I will go with the SPCC for a Thames barrier cruise sometime. I met a couple of their members about 6 weeks ago in the Limehouse basin and they invited me to join them but unfortunately I had crew arriving and had arranged a go out onto the tideway up to Brentford the day before so we couldn't do it. Going out as far as the barrier isn't something I'd want to do alone - I'd rather be following someone who's done it before. Plus I'm not insured past the barrier!

A few years ago when we took out our policy we clearly stated on the proposal form that we wanted to be covered for trips to the Royal Docks and Barking Creek and the cover note duly came back with an endorsement allowing "tidal access" but not defining what that meant. Recently when we renewed I spent some time talking to them as I wanted to make sure that we were still covered for the charity trips that we do (Nautical Insurance Services were great, cover extended at no extra cost). Talking generally we discussed tidal cruising and I explained that our next trip was out to Barking Creek which got everybody excited. It seems that they define river up to the Thames Barrier and it is sea beyond and we are not covered for sea trips. Bit of a shock as we have been to the Royal Docks ie through the barrier twice. Quick chat explaining what we do (and what our proposal form said), next day underwriters came back saying no problem, no extra premium. Surprisingly they seemed very unbothered about a trip down the Severn even though for that you need a pilot, or may be they were unbothered because you need a pilot?

You may find that you can get cover to beyond the thames barrier at no extra cost, though insurers may take a different view of a trip to Belgium so make sure you don't miss the turn!

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

Edited by RichardN

A few years ago when we took out our policy we clearly stated on the proposal form that we wanted to be covered for trips to the Royal Docks and Barking Creek and the cover note duly came back with an endorsement allowing "tidal access" but not defining what that meant. Recently when we renewed I spent some time talking to them as I wanted to make sure that we were still covered for the charity trips that we do (Nautical Insurance Services were great, cover extended at no extra cost). Talking generally we discussed tidal cruising and I explained that our next trip was out to Barking Creek which got everybody excited. It seems that they define river up to the Thames Barrier and it is sea beyond and we are not covered for sea trips. Bit of a shock as we have been to the Royal Docks ie through the barrier twice. Quick chat explaining what we do (and what our proposal form said), next day underwriters came back saying no problem, no extra premium. Surprisingly they seemed very unbothered about a trip down the Severn even though for that you need a pilot, or may be they were unbothered because you need a pilot?

You may find that you can get cover to beyond the thames barrier at no extra cost, though insurers may take a different view of a trip to Belgium so make sure you don't miss the turn!

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

I went out on the neighbours floating castle. "peace of pearce" facntastic... 60 foot semi trad.....

Richard ... great blog.. you've covered the event with justice!! And yes I forgot to say big THANK YOU ! to residents of banking creek!! fantastic time!!

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

We are with Towergate Mardon who have always charged us an additional premium, £30 rings a bell, to do a return trip below the barrier. There are certain conditions one being that we cannot go out in more than a Force 3 wind.

Tim

I went out on the neighbours floating castle. "peace of pearce" facntastic... 60 foot semi trad.....

Richard ... great blog.. you've covered the event with justice!! And yes I forgot to say big THANK YOU ! to residents of banking creek!! fantastic time!!

I should say it is Sue that writes the blog not me.

We collected the photographic evidence of you at your moorings! Sue is just uploading photographs but has gone off singing this evening. I think we will finish and publish tomorrow. Let us know via the blog or by email if you want a CD.

Is the rowing boat for the next cruise?

Richard

nb Indigo Dream

Just to re-enforce the point made on insurances.

Our certificate actually says "Inland waters & tidal links of the UK only", which really didn't sound that close a definition.

However looking at the actual policy wording, it specifically details "Thames to the Woolwich Barrier", so I suspect this is a fairly normal constraint on a narrow boat policy.

Curiously though it also says "up to 30 days coastal use, subject to prior advice"! My assumption is that if I ring them up the advice would be "No! don't!".