Silly inverter question

LoneEcho

Featured Posts

This topis if full of misleading and wrong information

Agreed.

to clarify the OPs original question - "are you limited by the kw of the inverter" No! the unit will not reduce the available shore power in any way.

Correct, apart from it sort of does limit it to the internal relay contact rating. Either 16 or 32 amps depending which model you get.

Yes, the multiplus will only 'pass through' its rated current, possibly a bit more, before it trips. So the multiplus must be sized for the maximum (concurrent) load the boat will want to draw, and there is no point in having a generator (or shore supply) with a greater capacity than the multiplus.

This is completely wrong.

Que? :lol:

We have a pair of 3.5 Kw multis feeding a selection of:

Normal electric cooker, two ovens and 4 hotplates each taking ITRO 1.5 to 2.0KW

Water Heater 2KW

Microwave

Kettle

Toaster

etc.

Presumably 3Kw being 'as much as anyone will need' assumes that you cook and heat water on gas?

We find 7Kw just about handles controlled concurrent useof a selection of the above.

Assuming that you either bypass it or fit an external relay. My reponse was based on using a Victron combi unit 'as it comes'...

Fair enough, what I should have said is "most" rather than "anyone" :lol:

This is completely wrong.

I bow to the expert with apologies to all.

My excuse is that our set up - two 3.5 Kw units in parallel - equate to a current limit of just under 32 amps.

The effect of this is behaviour as I described.

I hadn't realised the lower power units could pass currents higher than their inverter capacity.

Correct, apart from it sort of does limit it to the internal relay contact rating. Either 16 or 32 amps depending which model you get.

Correct, apart from the relay choice is 16 or 30 amp on models up to 2kva and 16 or 50 amp on 3 kva models.

Good thread anyway :lol:

But then Gibbo turned up and spoiled it! :lol:

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga