We're booked on the Ribble Link

Ange

Featured Posts

We've dithered a lot over where to go next. We had planned on going up the L&L, across the Aire & Calder then back down the HNC but water levels have made us decide to leave that for another year (Dave is looking forward to Standedge Tunnel in particular). Discussions then ranged around the Shroppie, Macclesfield & Llangollen until we finally decided that while we're up North we may as well fulfill another ambition and cross the Ribble Link to spend some quality time on the Lancaster Canal.

Dave visited the BW office in Wigan today and we're now booked to make the crossing on 28th July, returning 25th September. We're both excited and nervous (ok - Dave's excited and I'm nervous :lol: ) We're quite inexperienced and have only cruised in ditches so far so the Ribble crossing is quite daunting.

I'd love to hear other members experiences and any advice anyone has to offer. We've got the Skipper's Guide and an anchor but need to buy lifejackets and coastal flares. Oh and we have a gangplank as well - we're 2'4" draught and from what I've read on here we'll struggle to get to the side.

I'll start a cruise diary when we set off - we're hoping to meet up with CWDF members moored on the Lancy while we're there.

:lol:

We've dithered a lot over where to go next. We had planned on going up the L&L, across the Aire & Calder then back down the HNC but water levels have made us decide to leave that for another year (Dave is looking forward to Standedge Tunnel in particular). Discussions then ranged around the Shroppie, Macclesfield & Llangollen until we finally decided that while we're up North we may as well fulfill another ambition and cross the Ribble Link to spend some quality time on the Lancaster Canal.

Dave visited the BW office in Wigan today and we're now booked to make the crossing on 28th July, returning 25th September. We're both excited and nervous (ok - Dave's excited and I'm nervous :lol: ) We're quite inexperienced and have only cruised in ditches so far so the Ribble crossing is quite daunting.

I'd love to hear other members experiences and any advice anyone has to offer. We've got the Skipper's Guide and an anchor but need to buy lifejackets and coastal flares. Oh and we have a gangplank as well - we're 2'4" draught and from what I've read on here we'll struggle to get to the side.

I'll start a cruise diary when we set off - we're hoping to meet up with CWDF members moored on the Lancy while we're there.

Yay!!...come and see me when you get to Galgate.....Good luck with the crossing.

Wey hey hey I can imagine the screams ha;f way across the link. Has Dave got ear defenders? Let us know the times and we'll send a welcome party!!!!!!!

Yay!!...come and see me when you get to Galgate.....Good luck with the crossing.

Definitely will do - can't wait to see your boat in the flesh so to speak

You will have a great time!1 Did the trip last year have a summary on my website if you are interested

LINK TO LANCASTER CANAL SUMMARY

Thanks John - I've actually already been on your website when we were first researching the crossing - very informative it is too. I must admit your account of your first crossing did rather put the wind up me! Hopefully we'll have more clement weather.

Thanks John - I've actually already been on your website when we were first researching the crossing - very informative it is too. I must admit your account of your first crossing did rather put the wind up me! Hopefully we'll have more clement weather.

Well it has given me the confidence to do The Bristol Channel this year!!!!

Definitely will do - can't wait to see your boat in the flesh so to speak

Hey, what about a Lancashire banter.... how many could we gather do you reckon? hmm perhaps I should start a proper thread for that...scuse me a minute....

Hey, what about a Lancashire banter.... how many could we gather do you reckon? hmm perhaps I should start a proper thread for that...scuse me a minute....

It would be good to have a banter oop north!!

Ooh, count us in too!

Great!... I'll start on some possible dates, if all are agreeable we have here at Galgate a possible venue, a very local pub, literally just outside the marina gates, http://www.plough-galgate.co.uk/ which has a super beer garden and good food or the marina has its own private garden and barbecue area complete with chimenea (sp?) if its chilly so we could maybe finish up there...

There is also a canal craft centre, again just outside the marina gates with a good restaurant but that closes around tea time http://tinyurl.com/35jjayr

On it!...so thats five folk already? ecky thump, its a party starty....

Hopefully I should be able to come. I'll be back on the Lancy late August.

The crossing is exciting. It's a good idea to give your engine a "work- out" in advance if you can if it's not been on rivers before, just to make sure it will be ok at fairly high revs for 2-3 hours and not over-heat. Enjoy the Lancy, there's plenty to see.

I would advise you to fill up with diesel at St Mary's Marina in Rufford before you cross as diesel on the Lancaster is like rocking horse stuff!!!

Thanks John, exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for when I started this thread.

Hopefully I should be able to come. I'll be back on the Lancy late August.

Hi, We've not gone on our travels this year (moving to a lodge in Garstang) so we'll be about so count us in. you won't need your gang plank at Galgate!!!

Johnb :lol:

Excellent stuff - another two for the banter :lol:

We visited Tarleton lock today when today's boats coming down were arriving so we had a chance to chat to the BW guys operating the lock. The BW guidelines we've read say you need lifejackets & coastal flares. A few people have said coastal flares are way OTT for the journey, so we asked about them and the BW chap said we don't need flares at all. That's saved us about £80! He also said buoyancy aids are fine instead of lifejackets, so thats another few quid saved.

Edited by Ange

Thanks John, exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for when I started this thread.

Excellent stuff - another two for the banter :lol:

We visited Tarleton lock today when today's boats coming down were arriving so we had a chance to chat to the BW guys operating the lock. The BW guidelines we've read say you need lifejackets & coastal flares. A few people have said coastal flares are way OTT for the journey, so we asked about them and the BW chap said we don't need flares at all. That's saved us about £80! He also said buoyancy aids are fine instead of lifejackets, so thats another few quid saved.

If it was Harry you spoke to he is a great guy send him my regards.

• 2 weeks later...

"Stoppage: Liverpool canal link and Millenium Ribble link

05 Jul 2010 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Due to prolonged period of dry weather and the long range weather forecast predicting no change in the conditions, British Waterways North West will not be taking further bookings for the Liverpool and Ribble Canal Links.

We will endeavour to honour existing bookings. However, please be advised that this may be subject to change at short notice.

An update notice will be issued on Friday 9 July 2010.

(Enquiries: 01942405700)"

Not looking so good for our crossing on 28th July

"Stoppage: Liverpool canal link and Millenium Ribble link

05 Jul 2010 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: North West Waterways

Due to prolonged period of dry weather and the long range weather forecast predicting no change in the conditions, British Waterways North West will not be taking further bookings for the Liverpool and Ribble Canal Links.

We will endeavour to honour existing bookings. However, please be advised that this may be subject to change at short notice.

An update notice will be issued on Friday 9 July 2010.

(Enquiries: 01942405700)"

Not looking so good for our crossing on 28th July

that will be a great shame!! Must be lack of water on Lancaster Canal as it is feed from the Lake District where they have hose pipe ban at present.

that will be a great shame!! Must be lack of water on Lancaster Canal as it is feed from the Lake District where they have hose pipe ban at present.

Ah - I'd assumed it was due to the lack of water in the L&L. Sounds like a combination of both.

Does anyone know any good rain dances??

Ah - I'd assumed it was due to the lack of water in the L&L. Sounds like a combination of both.

Does anyone know any good rain dances??

Could Dave manage this?

<a href="http://www.raftermranch.com/RafterMRanch/F...-Rain-Dance.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.raftermranch.com/RafterMRanch/F...-Rain-Dance.jpg</a>

Edited by soldthehouse

I presume you did not get promised 9 July update....where are you now?

You're right - no 9th July update. The boat's currently between Johnsons Hillock and Wigan - we're in Kent, due to family stuff we can't move the boat until the 23rd July. We were planning to go down the Wigan Flight on the 24th, which would have got us to Tarleton in good time for 28th July crossing.

Tis all going a bit pear shaped!

:lol: If I can persuade him I'll post a picture!!