the return of the vertical stem post

Featured Posts

There are alot of new boats being built with " barge style bows" that is a vertical stem post, you can see the wash is quite nasty off them, and the shape is the same as the old river/ admiral class working boats, which rumour has it were a pig to steer, and had to be redesigned.

Has any one had experience of steering these new boats, and how do they swim ? it seems to me like some boat builders would sell you anything that floated.

I think it is more a matter of aesthetics than anything else, many of the old steam frigates had vertical stems and they shifted a bit. A lot of the steamboats in the Windermere collection too have that vertical look. It is the plan profile at the waterline that matters, like rowing 'Eights' and canoes.

Has any one had experience of steering these new boats, and how do they swim ?

EmilyAnne has a vertical stempost. (image) [she was built in 1991]

However, she cuts the water quite a lot better than a lot of boats ive seen moving around.

As for handling, shes a right pain compaired to a more traditional boat (apprently, although i never helmed any other boat)

- But its not really a fair test becuase she's wheel stearing, and has a rather undersized rudder (relative to the size/speed of the prop)

Daniel

Must be you then Dan , as i have seen your grandad doing it and holding a perfect line and sometimes 10 yds away ftom the wheel walking down the side deck and talking to people on the bank..... :lol: if you ask him he will probably show you how to do it.

Hehe.

- You get the hang of it, and thb, in enjoy its quirky non-resposiveness.

- And after ten years practice, im quite good now (infact, im prolly better then may grandad truth be told)

As for the single-handed funnel-lowing trick, thats just him showing off!

- Although i have ben know to do it on more than one occation! (again, its really not that hard with a bit of practice)

Daniel

Yes Dan but he does it with style and i hear you do it with a splash.... :lol:

You need the clean out you ears then mate.

- I have never fallen into the cut, not even once. (also, ive never misstakenly droped somthing in to the cut)

Also, not that this is all massivly oftopic, maybe you could use your magic moderating power to tidy it up a bit for us.

Daniel

Also, I've never mistakenly dropped something into the cut.

Sorry, wasn't it you who posted something about a mobile phone and a boiler suit which didn't have pockets, only slits to get through to your jeans?

Sorry, well :lol:

• 3 weeks later...