Bank Newton by-wash

Pluto

Featured Posts

I have just found out that BW are proposing to lower the level of the by-wash at Bank Newton Top Lock in order to lower the level of Marton Pool to reduce leakage. The weir has already been lowered by the removal of the wooden boards, and the plan will result in a further reduction in water level. Should such cheaper methods of reducing leaks be allowed, given that it is financially impossible to raise levels once they have been lowered. Surely leaks should be stopped rather than levels lowered as leaks at water surface level happen continually. Lowering water levels will only address the problem for a few years, and afterwards leaks will return.

Have water levels been lowered elsewhere on the system, and if so did anyone complain. It certainly seems the thin end of the wedge, creating lower standards of maintenance, and long term problems, particularly for those with deeper boats.

The application can be seen via http://www.planning.cravendc.gov.uk/fastweb/welcome.asp

Enter planning no. 05/2010/10290

Have you got application number as I can't find it on the Council website. There is an application to install a monitoring system which includes a 'thin plare weir' but that's all I can see.

Regards

Pete

Have you got application number as I can't find it on the Council website. There is an application to install a monitoring system which includes a 'thin plare weir' but that's all I can see.

Regards

Pete

It is 05/2010/10290 and in progress. I found it by putting Leeds & Liverpool Canal in the search area. Consultation was in February, but I am not sure if anything further has been done.

I have just found out that BW are proposing to lower the level of the by-wash at Bank Newton Top Lock in order to lower the level of Marton Pool to reduce leakage.

I noticed they had done this at Hirst Wood, and was told by Dream Achievers staff this was to reduce leakage. I suggested that they protested, and the boards may have been replaced. I think the boards have also been removed from the top of Newlay locks. Thin end of the wedge..........

regards

David L

I think that some years ago now the level of the seven mile above Stenson on the T & M was dropped by a few inches probably for the same reason Regards, HughC.

Edited by hughc

Cant get the site to work, but yes, i agree its a shit idea.

Knocking the wood out to get 4inchs while they set about fixing a leak is one thing, taking 6 inchs of the concrete after they have already dropped the leval, with no signs of its being fixed, is shit.

Shot this on the liverpool pound. Clearly its not something thats new.

dscn0156f.jpg

Daniel