Rallentando's Summer Cruise 2010

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

Yes, we are off this weekend to do a modified Thames ring.

North from Cowroast on Sunday round past Braunston, Napton and down to Fenny Compton.

We are going to leave the boat there for a couple of weeks while we come home and look after our business whilst my son goes on holiday.

Then at the end of June we resume our holiday taking the boat down to Oxford, up the Thames to Letchlade, and then all the way back down to Brentford.

We'll then re-join the GU for our journey north back to Tring.

Really looking forward to some boating again.

If you spot us, give us a wave or a shout. It's alway nice to chat to forum members.

regards

david and ann

Don't forget to say hello to Barrie at Fenny Compton. His boat is Canna - moored next to the paint tunnel. You met him on Owl when we all got together last year. I am sure he will keep an eye on your boat for you as well.

Julie

Ps Have a wonderful trip. We did the same last year and especially loved it up to Lechlade, and will do the same this year heading for Beale park in August.

We saw the Bullfrogs passing our mooring at Cook's Wharf this afternoon.

We were supposed to be packing up after our Thames trip, but really couldn't get the enthusiasm to go back home, not with w**k tomorrow, anyway!

Have a good trip, I'm quite jealous, even though we've only just got back.

Cheers

Cath

Ah, I passed a boat called 'Rallentando' with a canalworld sticker between Napton and Braunston yesterday and was wondering who it was, I guess I know now!

btw, would I be right in guessing that the boat is one of the 'leisure questors', built by eastern caravans, that were sold through ken yates at billing and that you got it around 5 years ago? If so, I was shown over your boat before you picked it up - if you'd like a copy of some photos I took, let me know.

Peter

Ah, I passed a boat called 'Rallentando' with a canalworld sticker between Napton and Braunston yesterday and was wondering who it was, I guess I know now!

btw, would I be right in guessing that the boat is one of the 'leisure questors', built by eastern caravans, that were sold through ken yates at billing and that you got it around 5 years ago? If so, I was shown over your boat before you picked it up - if you'd like a copy of some photos I took, let me know.

Peter

Hi Peter, yes that was us. I commented to Ann that we had three "musical" boats within 50 metres of each other - we were following "Cantabile" when you crossed going the other way in "Andante". "Cantabile" was crawling along really slowly, so I was quite pleased when he slowed down even more and waved me to overtake him. Just as we were 25% overlapped, he turned sharp left and bashed into us! No damage done, but a bit of an adreneline rush since I was at full throttle in my eagerness to get past. He did have the grace to apologise. I've no idea what he was playing at, I don't think he did either! Whilst chatting (shouting?) I detected he had a Welsh accent a little stronger than mine and we commented how probably the only 2 Welshman within 20 miles of canal had managed to collide with each other!

And yes Rallentando did come from Billing in 2005. Any pics would be much appreciated.

regards

David

Always good to 'spot' other forum members, even if only briefly!

Musical terms seem quite popular - whilst out over the last two weeks I passed another 'andante' and an 'adagio' and where i used to moor there was also an 'adagio' and a 'cadenza' moored close to me.

I'll see what photos I can dig out when I get home and let you know.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again!

Train trip from Sussex to Banbury on Sunday morning, then pick up the boat from Fenny Compton and off we go on the rest of our Thames ring.

Looks like the weather is going to be better than phase 1 - Hoorah

David and Ann

Yes, we met Maffi at Thrupp and stopped for a chat, always good to see him.

We had already exchanged a few words with Graham, spotted standing on one leg holding Alnick at Cropredy! We also saw GC supervising operations from the boat's roof.

Yesterday morning we spotted the good ship Bones going upstream on the Thames as we were coming back down from Letchlade to Oxford. Our combined approach speed meant we had time for no more than a quick wave and a shouted "Hi", but it was a pleasant surprise to see Bones again.

We have been at home for 48 hours in order to attend a friend's birthday celebs, back to the boat tomorrow using the "Oxford Tube" - an extraordinary bus service between Oxford city centre and London Victoria, one every 10 minutes, and costing only £10 return!

Hope to see more of you as we proceed around the "ring".