Dongle contract coming to an end

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

Hi all, our Tmobile contract is coming to an end soon and we will need to sort something out with a new dongle. Currently pay 15 quid a month for 3g download and free between the hours of midnight and 4pm. Also have a fair use policy so we don't get charged more. The thing is that it's not that great. It's fine for general browsing and emails but a bit jumpy with video. Being inside a metal box can't help but I was wondering if anybody who is in London has had a better experiance with another provider?

Maybe it's time to buy an external antenna?

any thoughts?

Hi all, our Tmobile contract is coming to an end soon and we will need to sort something out with a new dongle. Currently pay 15 quid a month for 3g download Guessing you mean 3Gb, 3G is the type of signal and free between the hours of midnight and 4pm. Very good if you happen to be at home then :lol: Also have a fair use policy so we don't get charged more.That bit may need re-reading in the contract :lol: The thing is that it's not that great. It's fine for general browsing and emails but a bit jumpy with video. Like every one else's, it all depends on strength and quality of signal, the specification of the computer/video card also has an effect Being inside a metal box can't help Definitely, if you can get the 'dongle' outside of the boat things may well improve but I was wondering if anybody who is in London has had a better experience with another provider? London, I expect they will all be fantastic compared to wht is available out in the sticks

Maybe it's time to buy an external antenna? This may help but try putting the dongle outside first, all the external antenna does is the same thing but at a cost

any thoughts?

Edited by bottle

Hi all, our Tmobile contract is coming to an end soon and we will need to sort something out with a new dongle. Currently pay 15 quid a month for 3g download and free between the hours of midnight and 4pm. Also have a fair use policy so we don't get charged more. The thing is that it's not that great. It's fine for general browsing and emails but a bit jumpy with video. Being inside a metal box can't help but I was wondering if anybody who is in London has had a better experiance with another provider?

Maybe it's time to buy an external antenna?

any thoughts?

If you do go for an aerial we use one of THESE. Improves signal and saves having to swap dongle from side to side in different locations. We connect ours to a router which enables us to use laptop anywhere in the boat without plugging aerial in.

Guest wanted

Cheers Kieth, I did indeed mean 3GB, I'll get an extention cable today to see if it works better on the roof.

:lol:

If you do go for an aerial we use one of THESE. Improves signal and saves having to swap dongle from side to side in different locations. We connect ours to a router which enables us to use laptop anywhere in the boat without plugging aerial in.

that sounds cool, what router do you use, bit of a tecnofail, could you tell me what your entire set up is and i'll reaserch. Also, does that mean you can use more than one computer online at once?

that sounds cool, what router do you use, bit of a tecnofail, could you tell me what your entire set up is and i'll reaserch. Also, does that mean you can use more than one computer online at once?

It's a Huawei D100, ours is from '3' and so is locked to their network, they are available unlocked. We have aerial on the front of the roof with lead going into the boat and plugs into our dongle which is plugged into router which in turn is plugged into power, it only takes about 0.2 of an amp. Aerial is a mag mount and needs to be on a metal surface such as a narrow boat roof. Yes you can use multiple computers.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Guest wanted
It's a Huawei D100, ours is from '3' and so is locked to their network, they are available unlocked. We have aerial on the front of the roof with lead going into the boat and plugs into our dongle which is plugged into router which in turn is plugged into power, it only takes about 0.2 of an amp. Aerial is a mag mount and needs to be on a metal surface such as a narrow boat roof. Yes you can use multiple computers.

That sounds like a plan! Cheers :lol:

We recently left tmobile as the dongle didn't work anywhere in the region of our boat even though supposed to be good coverage! When closing the account they offered it to us for £10 including vat so well worth telling them you are thinking of leaving

Guest wanted
We recently left tmobile as the dongle didn't work anywhere in the region of our boat even though supposed to be good coverage! When closing the account they offered it to us for £10 including vat so well worth telling them you are thinking of leaving

I think i'm gonna stick with T-mobile but I won't tell them that! :lol:

Robbo, that router looks good, and it has some positive reviews that make it sound simple! Cheers for the heads up.

Thanks all, I now have a good idea of how to improve our signal. :lol:

I have the MiFi modem/router device with '3'. Brilliant because (1) it's wireless so you can put it by a window to pick up a high data speed signal and it then connects to your netbook/laptop in the boat; (2) you can run two or three devices through it at the same time; (3) '3's mobile broadband coverage seems to be receiving excellent feedback all over the place; (4) I paid for the modem (Huawei E5380) and a 12gb bundle (valid for 12 months) up front so no monthly contract ... and then I just buy more gb next year. I did a LOT of talking and asking and finding out and I reckon I've got the perfect solution for me (we're not liveaboards) and just love my Huawei! And I use it when I'm out and about (we have cable at home).

Jo

Edited by Jo_

I've decided to get rid of mine when the 12 months expires....and buy an iPhone....and connect my laptop to the internet thru the phone.

To be honest unless your a light user I wouldn't, the advantage of a USB modem (esp with a socket for external aerial) is that you can place it outside if need be. I presume you wouldn't place your iphone (or any other phone) outside. The tariff deals for tethering are poor for iPhone and the same as a USB modem (I've only researched o2 here though)..

I have the MiFi modem/router device with '3'. Brilliant because (1) it's wireless so you can put it by a window to pick up a high data speed signal and it then connects to your netbook/laptop in the boat; (2) you can run two or three devices through it at the same time; (3) '3's mobile broadband coverage seems to be receiving excellent feedback all over the place; (4) I paid for the modem (Huawei E5380) and a 12gb bundle (valid for 12 months) up front so no monthly contract ... and then I just buy more gb next year. I did a LOT of talking and asking and finding out and I reckon I've got the perfect solution for me (we're not liveaboards) and just love my Huawei! And I use it when I'm out and about (we have cable at home).

Jo

Can you plug an aerial into your E5380?

To be honest unless your a light user I wouldn't, the advantage of a USB modem (esp with a socket for external aerial) is that you can place it outside if need be. I presume you wouldn't place your iphone (or any other phone) outside. The tariff deals for tethering are poor for iPhone and the same as a USB modem (I've only researched o2 here though)..

I guess....but we've had an iPhone in the house for some time now and being the world's worst anti-gizmo sceptic, I can't believe how versatile it is...My partner's laptop's not been used for months! Out and about on the cut it's amazing...and performes well even out of 3g reception...I think I might have to invest (alas) when my dongle and phone contracts come to an end this July.

I guess....but we've had an iPhone in the house for some time now and being the world's worst anti-gizmo sceptic, I can't believe how versatile it is...My partner's laptop's not been used for months! Out and about on the cut it's amazing...and performes well even out of 3g reception...I think I might have to invest (alas) when my dongle and phone contracts come to an end this July.

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone (and iPad, Mac, you get the picture) but the tethering options just don't give you any extra over a PAYG USB 3G modem deal. If they did then it would appeal to me as well.

For what it's worth I am now using Orange's 12mth 10Gb Early Bird deal, the Early Bird is quite nice as I can do as much download between 12am-9am (limit of 5Gb per night) and it isn't included in the 10Gb. I download alot of podcasts and now iPlayer stuff, so I'm using around 2Gb per night!.

Don't blink too soon, we said the same about leaving and they offered us a no contract deal at £10 (same conditions as our previous contract) We hummmed a bit more and the final offer was the same contract as we were on at £5 a month.... :lol:

Just picked up on this one.. couple of days ago the last reply. But...

My contract came to the end on T-Mobile but I have been happy with them generally as I cruise around, so was going to buy a new contract going through quidco (google that) to get a load of cash back.. but my contract of £20 was reduced on the phone when I went to cancel to £7.50 for the same service of 3GB a month.. That I have taken over 12 months.

I actually told the guy that to continue the contract it would have to be £8 or less!

On the subject of antennas.. Be careful. I bought one a year or so ago.. useless. I had no problem getting my money back as I had already made sure there was an email promising a complete refund if there was no improvement. I have not had the confidence to try another.

Gosh, when I look back all those years to when I first started with internet afloat.. dial up on AOL for 50 mins a day.. the scratchy useless gprs everywhere for a few years, on through the stages of 3G to 3G+ and stupid speeds quicker than broadband sometimes..

It can only get better folks!

Guest wanted
Just picked up on this one.. couple of days ago the last reply. But...

My contract came to the end on T-Mobile but I have been happy with them generally as I cruise around, so was going to buy a new contract going through quidco (google that) to get a load of cash back.. but my contract of £20 was reduced on the phone when I went to cancel to £7.50 for the same service of 3GB a month.. That I have taken over 12 months.

I actually told the guy that to continue the contract it would have to be £8 or less!

On the subject of antennas.. Be careful. I bought one a year or so ago.. useless. I had no problem getting my money back as I had already made sure there was an email promising a complete refund if there was no improvement. I have not had the confidence to try another.

Gosh, when I look back all those years to when I first started with internet afloat.. dial up on AOL for 50 mins a day.. the scratchy useless gprs everywhere for a few years, on through the stages of 3G to 3G+ and stupid speeds quicker than broadband sometimes..

It can only get better folks!

Cheers for that, I'll get my bartering skills out! was that you I saw in Brentford a couple days back?