Locking down, solo

Featured Posts

Peter

Are you that 'elderly' gentleman with the pole I described, It was not my intention to upset.

I only told the tale as I admired their tenacity in carrying on boating and enjoying it.

They (you) have my admiration and respect, I only hope, I will have the same strength as they did (you do) to carry on boating as long as possible.

The pole conversion is brilliant and could be used to good effect by anyone.

Happy boating and long may it continue. :rolleyes:

btw - how does anyone do lift bridges on their own?! Someone told me to get a pole and prop it up and then drive through - I had a go with the pole but it was rather difficult to say the least... so difficult I decided the best way around it was to have a cup of tea and wait for a walker... I managed to build a bed extension in that time once!

If its an anti-social bridge, ie the tow path is on the opposite side to the bridge beam (the bit you pull down) you have to try and land the boat as best you can, then if there's no way of holding the bridge open, you will need to find a way of wieghing the beam down, sack of coal, genny, anything thats heavy.

Its a bit of a task, think we've covered this before. :rolleyes:

As of course most of them are, just like swing bridges; otherwise you'd have had to disconnectthe horse.

I can do that bit but weighing it down sounds like it involves more acrobatics than is polite... if its been covered before I shall do a search... its the oxford ones that get me... the rest seem ok - and sometimes they are even balanced.... but not in oxford!

I can do that bit but weighing it down sounds like it involves more acrobatics than is polite... if its been covered before I shall do a search... its the oxford ones that get me... the rest seem ok - and sometimes they are even balanced.... but not in oxford!

Im havnt found the lift bridge thread yet, but, have a look at this one.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2214

Daniel

David Schviz?????

Mentioned I think an 'Oxford Stick' (something like that) a few times to prop the beam in the up position as you pass through.

Has anyone heard from David, I hope we haven't lost him permanently.

it is indeed - but its so much harder than it sounds! I think I shall stick to my brewing tea and waiting.

Mentioned I think an 'Oxford Stick' (something like that) a few times to prop the beam in the up position as you pass through.

I thinlk it was most commonly called a Banbury Stick. The theory was you tied a rope to it so that after you'd gone through, it pulled the stick out from under the bridge and you retrieved it without stopping.

Not so good for the bridge (crash!) and potential for all sorts of interesting accidents!

David Schviz?????

Has anyone heard from David, I hope we haven't lost him permanently.

Has he made any posts since 'centre lines' on Nov 11th?

Hopefull he's only busted his 'puter :rolleyes:

His last post was on the 27th of Nov.

Still Off Topic but

I am breaking my silence, only to inform people that Daniel has recently apologised to me and I have accepted his apology.

I would also like to make it clear that it was not Daniel's comments alone that led me to take the decision to take no further part in discussion on this forum, it has been brewing for some while.

Linky

Daniel

His last post was on the 27th of Nov.

Linky

Daniel

gosh.... shame really... I remember him being on line, and can't recall an upset... its too easy to have misunderstandings on these forums. S'long as e's happy thats the important bit.