Advise needed about Welds

Featured Posts

If it's a 1974 Springer, then that doesn't sound right to me.

Although apparently a few very early ones were "hull only", I believe ones where Springer did not build the whole shell in steel are very rare, particularly if it's not a particularly early one.

Mind you there seems be much folk-lore about Springers, so perhaps I've not got my facts right.

But what you are describing deviates from any I have ever heard of - it's certainly not how it was usually done in 1974, that's a certainty.

Sorry I explained that badly.

He said it was how managed to afford it by buying the hull off springer.

Its one of those isnt it but after walking away to have a think and to go over the meeting ect myself and my partner dont get any bad vibes off the guy.

We dont think hes full of it or anything like that and sometimes when you buy things and meet people after a little time alarm bells ring ect.

But this feels right.

IM going to get some of this crack detector/dye stuff and have a go at it.

I need to make up some grab rails for the cabin,some gas lockers and a cover for the engine bay which a friend is going to help me do if I buy a mig welder

So where do I get this crack spray from ect?

if your concerned about the welds, buy some cans of crack detector and check them yourself.

if you have access to the inside of the shell you spray dye penetrant on one side (usually red) and then spray the developer (white) on the other side of the weld. any flaws will show a red patch in the developer.

if you only have access to the exterior of the shell you spray dye penetrant on the weld and leave for a few minutes to soak into any cracks and then remove the dye with penetrant remover. then you spray on the developer and wait for the dye to bleed back out of any cracks or flaws.

you need to make sure you clean of all of the penetrant before painting because it will just keep bleeding through each paint coat.

Sharky

If it shows through red Sharky what do I do lol ?

And is it doable diy with a welder and a mate.

Can you post any pictures of it ?

If it has not been in the water, I guess it doesn't matter that much if it's a 1969 shell ot a 1984 one, but even so, as Springers did change design over the years, someone in the know could probably tell you if the story stacks up or not.

As Springer came to the boat building business by diverting from their core business of making tanks to hold things, I'd be disappointed if it were a Springer and leaked because of poor welding.

There were other firms that made Springer lookalikes IIRC.

Edited for clumsy fingers.

Edited by alan_fincher

Can you post any pictures of it ?

If it has not been in the water, I guess it doesn't matter that much if it's a 1969 shell ot a 1984 one, but even so, as Springers did change design over the years, someone in the know could probably tell you if the story stacks up or not.

As Springer came to the boat building business by diverting from their core business of making tanks to hold things, I'd be disappointed if it were a Springer and leaked because of poor welding.

There were other firms that made Springer lookalikes IIRC.

Edited for clumsy fingers.

I will take some pictures of it Alan and post up a link ect.

I am going to take a chance as for the money I think its worth it even if it did need some welding doing.

IM not too worried who actually made the boat as I am happy with what I have seen and having said that much of what I have seen has all the characteristics of a springer design including lots of weld that need grinding down and neatening up.

I will stick up a link in the near future with the whole background story ect as the old gent tells it wonderfully with great pleasure.

Thanks.

Edited by Newold

Sorry I explained that badly.

He said it was how managed to afford it by buying the hull off springer.

Its one of those isnt it but after walking away to have a think and to go over the meeting ect myself and my partner dont get any bad vibes off the guy.

We dont think hes full of it or anything like that and sometimes when you buy things and meet people after a little time alarm bells ring ect.

But this feels right.

IM going to get some of this crack detector/dye stuff and have a go at it.

I need to make up some grab rails for the cabin,some gas lockers and a cover for the engine bay which a friend is going to help me do if I buy a mig welder

So where do I get this crack spray from ect?

If it shows through red Sharky what do I do lol ?

And is it doable diy with a welder and a mate.

if it shows up red just grind the weld out and reweld.

should be able to get the penetrant and developer from the same place you would buy your welding consumables (is there a BOC depot near you?)

if your buying a mig welder you will need one that can take 1mm wire, not a little car jobbie that can only take 0.6mm wire.

Sharky

If it's a 1974 Springer, then that doesn't sound right to me.

Although apparently a few very early ones were "hull only", I believe ones where Springer did not build the whole shell in steel are very rare, particularly if it's not a particularly early one.

Mind you there seems be much folk-lore about Springers, so perhaps I've not got my facts right.

But what you are describing deviates from any I have ever heard of - it's certainly not how it was usually done in 1974, that's a certainty.

Some Springers were definitely hull-only because they were fitted with wooden tops. Don't forget that in those days many shell builders would supply you with a hull-only to put your own superstructure on. In the late 70's Hancock and Lane supplied a mate of mine with a hull and he welded his own cabin top onto it before completing the full fit out. It wasn't as unusual then as it is now.

Roger

what I have seen has all the characteristics of a springer design including lots of weld that need grinding down and neatening up.

Oh don't do that - all part of their "industrial" charm, in my view.

Things with that much history need to stay "original".

(You'd not buy the Venus de Milo and add the arms, would you ?)

IM not too worried who actually made the boat as I am happy with what I have seen and having said that much of what I have seen has all the characteristics of a springer design including lots of weld that need grinding down and neatening up.

Thanks.

Also be a little bit careful here because it is more than likely it was only welded on one side of the plate. Too much cosmetic grinding could give you the exact problem that you enquired about at the start of this thread. :lol:

Roger

Good point about not neatening up the welds guys.

Yes it would spoil the character.

So Ive done the deal and got me a boat by the looks of things.

The guy is even letting me keep the boat in the barn while I rub it down,paint it,do the welding ect.

Hes even going to take the windows out for me and reseal them as he was not happy with the job.

He also said ''he may be old but he likes to keep busy and will certainly lend me a hand with things.

I dont know if it is usual but it even has an original springer bow shape water tank that is galvanised.

Even the propeller.

Going on Saturday so will take some pics ect and start a blog.

Thanks.

if it shows up red just grind the weld out and reweld.

should be able to get the penetrant and developer from the same place you would buy your welding consumables (is there a BOC depot near you?)

if your buying a mig welder you will need one that can take 1mm wire, not a little car jobbie that can only take 0.6mm wire.

Sharky

Sharky if I need one that takes 1mm wire what sort of money would I be looking at forking out?

I ask as if its something IM not going to use much I may be better off renting something like that.

But would a little car jobbie be ok for making the gas lockers and fixing on grab rails ect?

Thanks.

Sharky if I need one that takes 1mm wire what sort of money would I be looking at forking out?

I ask as if its something IM not going to use much I may be better off renting something like that.

But would a little car jobbie be ok for making the gas lockers and fixing on grab rails ect?

Thanks.

Don't bother with a MIG. A simple stick welder will be more than adequate for your needs, be much cheaper to buy and, pound for pound invested, produce a better quality weld. If you've money to spare I'd use an inverter welder.