building a wste tank in to the hull

Featured Posts

I am planning my next build which will be a raised deck tug style, and am thinking about building the waste tank into the bow to use the space under the bow locker which is wasted.

The picture shows my previous boat of the same style and you can see the space I am talking about. It would mean plating down from the gas locker to the base and sides. I will need the space under the deck for other uses so I appreciate a separate tank could go there but I am only talking about directly under the front gas bottle locker

Its easy for the hull builder to do but are there concerns about corrosion or any thing else as once done there wont be any access to this area for maintenance?

Thanks

self2051.jpg

Charles

bluestringpudding recently posted about removing a bulkhead. In the thread she mentioned that she had had her integral waste tank removed. She may, of course, have never used it but she may know of some of the answers to your questions!

Edited by Bones

I am planning my next build which will be a raised deck tug style, and am thinking about building the waste tank into the bow to use the space under the bow locker which is wasted.

The picture shows my previous boat of the same style and you can see the space I am talking about. It would mean plating down from the gas locker to the base and sides. I will need the space under the deck for other uses so I appreciate a separate tank could go there but I am only talking about directly under the front gas bottle locker

Its easy for the hull builder to do but are there concerns about corrosion or any thing else as once done there wont be any access to this area for maintenance?

Thanks

<Image snipped N>

Charles

Pipers used to do this, as did other builders. Eventually the tank-top corrodes away first but by then there is usually also noticeable corrosion of the sides at around the wind/water line inside the tank.

Sludge builds up around the horizontal base stiffeners.

IMNAHO either fit a separate steel tank if cost is a problem, and leave a way to get it out, or fit a well made plastic tank.

Under the front deck will give you the maximum bow down trim change effect as the tank fills with a corresponding up at the stern. Stern up may cause your prop to ventilate when in reverse so affecting your stopping ability.

Our boat has a similar arrangement with a plastic water tank under the front deck, allowing us to use the space either side for 'stuff' and the water pump etc. The builder's water tank at the very front under the deck lid is now another store for 'more stuff' like the BBQ, Anchor, mooring pins, fenders etc.

N