Keeping Up in 2010

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

A boat passed me this week called 'Keeping up too'....

asp'

That's the boat currently owned by the "Cheshire Joneses" whose previous boat was called Keeping Up (the same as ours, but 4 years later, just a few months after we passed through their home town - but they insist it's coincidence). Their previous boat, the only other Keeping Up on the system, is at Sherborne Wharf in Birmingham but is owned by someone whose name is not Jones.

Our engineer at Braunston tried to cure the diesel leak by tightening the nuts; half an hour later it started pouring diesel so we had to start today by reversing a mile to the winding point before returning to Braunston to have it properly fixed (which involved a lot of dismantling).

Now we're on our way slowly down towards Oxford, to reach there by next weekend.

Well the proper fix didn't work either; and we stopped at Marston Doles with diesel still leaking (albeit in much reduced quantities). So he came out to us again and stripped the injector pump right down, and reassembled it with new washers even freshly-softening the copper ones on the gas hob. But it was all to no avail, it still leaked, so eventually he fitted a completely new pump assembly which seems to have cured the leak (and left me with a very empty feeling in the wallet).

Banbury was fun. We had the most torrential rainstorm, just 15 minutes after I'd finished replacing the rubber seal on our roof hatch (phew). Apparently it was great fun in the shopping centre, the downpipes couldn't cope so the inside of the centre started to fill up with water. They closed it quickly and ushered everybody out, but even so they had to wade through knee-deep water near M&S.

After a most enjoyable evening with Bones we carried on down to Oxford, and on to the river. We decided to come on down to use Isis lock, which apparently was a good choice as a tree has come down across Duke's Cut - again. But we didn't get far, the hydraulics at Iffley lock went wrong just before we arrived so we've had to stop here outside the pub. Now they've fixed the lock but it's raining so the pub seems the best option for tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

After Abingdon we came back up river, and yet again a lock broke as we approached it. This time it was Osney but we heard at Sandford so we stayed there and had an excellent meal in the pub (spot the pattern that's emerging). After that we went back to Thrupp for another couple of days.

We've been up to Lechlade again. The river was well up, and the moorings outside the Tadpole at Trout Bridge were under water when we arrived. We moored there anywhere as I was getting tired fighting against the gale-force winds. By morning the level was 8" down so we had an easy trip up to Lechlade which was very quiet now that all the boats had left for Beale Park.

We've been washed down the river by a lovely strong current, and now we're moored at the Plough at Long Wittenham. The weir stream is flowing very fast indeed but we made it up here - and decided to wind before mooring in case it's running even faster in the morning. Mooring up after doing that involved using a LOT of power in reverse until I could get a rope ashore!

We're hoping to pass Beale Park on Sunday when everybody is at the rally.

After Abingdon we came back up river, and yet again a lock broke as we approached it. This time it was Osney but we heard at Sandford so we stayed there and had an excellent meal in the pub (spot the pattern that's emerging). After that we went back to Thrupp for another couple of days.

We've been up to Lechlade again. The river was well up, and the moorings outside the Tadpole at Trout Bridge were under water when we arrived. We moored there anywhere as I was getting tired fighting against the gale-force winds. By morning the level was 8" down so we had an easy trip up to Lechlade which was very quiet now that all the boats had left for Beale Park.

We've been washed down the river by a lovely strong current, and now we're moored at the Plough at Long Wittenham. The weir stream is flowing very fast indeed but we made it up here - and decided to wind before mooring in case it's running even faster in the morning. Mooring up after doing that involved using a LOT of power in reverse until I could get a rope ashore!

We're hoping to pass Beale Park on Sunday when everybody is at the rally.

You did well to make it to 'The Plough' at Long Wittenham. We tried last year (at about this time) and although we managed to wind OK we could not get close enough to get a couple of lines ashore and the staging didn't look strong enough to hold us against the flow! Perhaps we will have another try on the way back from Beale Park next week - give us a toot when you pass . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

Sorry I didn't see you Tim. You must admit though, Alaska is a rather fine sight.

We didn't expect to pass Beale Park until tomorrow morning, but we had such a good stream behind us from Lechlade that we got nearly a day ahead of ourselves. Sadly it's much less of a stream now.

Reading was unbelievably busy, with its festival. There were people everywhere, and the trip boat was doing a fine trade ferrying people from Caversham Bridge up to the site entrance.

We're now moored below Sonning, trying to work out when we'll get to Brentford and what the tide will be doing at the time.

Reading was also unbelievably busy on Thursday when we passed through; masses of soaked people in summer clothing making there way along the towpath over the two mile length between Caversham lock and the entrance upstream.

Might see you on Wednesday morning at Teddington - 7.30 ish? We are around Windsor today and tomorrow and Chertsey on Monday

Mick

Hi Mick, yes we may well see you at Teddington then. No way am I going to be up for a 6.30 tide the day before!

I've just worked out that in the last 3 days of just 7 hours per day we've travelled 75 miles and come down 24 Thames locks - all without ever going above 4mph. Isn't the current wonderful when it's behind you?

>Snipped<

I've just worked out that in the last 3 days of just 7 hours per day we've travelled 75 miles and come down 24 Thames locks - all without ever going above 4mph. Isn't the current wonderful when it's behind you?

Alan - There has been quite a flow running during the last few days - all in your favour but it may subside with the promised fine weather - the strong flow is alright for those of you who have by-passed the IWA National and are heading downstream but it may not be so good for getting back to the Oxford Canal - especially since Alnwick will be single handed after Jane returns to work on Tuesday morning . . .

.............but it may not be so good for getting back to the Oxford Canal - especially since Alnwick will be single handed after Jane returns to work on Tuesday morning . . .

Let's face it Graham, based on recent experiences she'll be a great deal safer at work! ;)

Or is it that she just needs to be where you aren't ? :rolleyes:

Reading was also unbelievably busy on Thursday when we passed through; masses of soaked people in summer clothing making there way along the towpath over the two mile length between Caversham lock and the entrance upstream.

Might see you on Wednesday morning at Teddington - 7.30 ish? We are around Windsor today and tomorrow and Chertsey on Monday

Mick

Just to confirm, we're at Kingston now and overnight, so we'll be arriving at Teddington around 0730. See you there.

Just to confirm, we're at Kingston now and overnight, so we'll be arriving at Teddington around 0730. See you there.

We are right at the back of the moorings leading to the Lock.

I expect you won't see this till after 7.30 tomorrow but lock keeper has asked us to get to lock at 7.10. High tide at Teddington is 7.40 though. Will probably see you in lock but if not on the GU. It will be our last day of an 8 week cruise as we moor in Packet Boat marina on the corner of the Slough Arm junction with the GU. It has been a fabulous trip - our first visit to east Anglia but not the last methinks.

Mick

We were indeed in the next locking at Teddington, as we arrived at 7.15. Despite pottering down the river at tickover, there were still 5 boats ahead of us at Thames Lock. This increased to 9 by the first lock above Brentford (Clitheroe?) so we decided not to follow the slow train up Hanwell but instead stopped for an excellent lunch at the Fox.

We're at Bull's Bridge now - Tesco's beckons.

And finally we have arrived home again at Stoke Hammond.

It's been a fabulous trip, since the beginning of July we're covered 800 miles and passed though 367 locks.

Add that to the first part of our trip in May/June in which we covered 576 miles and passed through 367 locks.

That makes a total so far this year of 1376 miles and 717 locks. There won't be many more miles this year now (and none until I've located my missing nuts)

We've met a number of Forum members, many of whom we've not met before; we've had great weather, being in the dry part of the country; and the rivers have been absolutely lovely with almost exactly the right amount of water in them. We've found some wonderful pubs, and met some wonderful people, what more could we possibly want?

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished adding the reports of both our 2010 trips to our website. There are loads of pictures as well as the tales of our travels.

The most recent trip took us down the Nene then across the Middle Level and up the Great Ouse to Bedford, returning home with variations on the same route as far as Gayton but then coming back via Oxford, Lechlade, and Brentford.

In case you missed it earlier, the previous trip was down to Limehouse and up the Thames to Oxford, then returning to Reading and cruising the K&A to Devizes before coming back to Reading and Oxford for the run home.

I hope you enjoy the reports.

I've just finished adding the reports of both our 2010 trips to our website. There are loads of pictures as well as the tales of our travels.

Very splendid, just one nit. Isleham seems to have morphed into Elsenham, for some reason.

MP.

Very splendid, just one nit. Isleham seems to have morphed into Elsenham, for some reason.

MP.

Blimey that was quick! Were you a proof-reader in an earlier life?

The reason for the mistake is very simple, it's that my handwriting is so awful that even I can't read it. Thanks, I'll go and change it now.

In case you missed it earlier, the previous trip was down to Limehouse and up the Thames to Oxford, then returning to Reading and cruising the K&A to Devizes before coming back to Reading and Oxford for the run home.

Well at least your write up doesn't include my attempts to pass a buoy on the tidal Thames to the wrong side. :lol: