Ultrasonic thickness testers for All?

jerrytug

Featured Posts

Hi again folks,anyone know a source of these gadgets,or a Practical Wireless-style DIY project on how to make one? What about Soviet Army surplus or something? We all need one really. For example Geiger counters to measure radiation are dear but the actual bit which does the work is not, it`s just the packaging and marketing etc. Keep warm,Jerry.

Try:

http://www.panametrics-ndt.com/ndt/thickne...es26/index.html

Doesn't look cheap though.

These items are extremely expensive, the type used where I work are Krautkramer and Stresstel, even the when the probes require replacing they are several hundred pounds. I am sure there must be a cheaper alternative on the market somewhere but unfortunately I dont know where.

Hi

You could try Cygnus Instruments who make thickness testers that look very simple to use and can "see" through paint

I didnt use one in the end but Cygnus gave me the number of a company who will hire you one at, I am assured, a very reasonable rate.

In the end I trusted the 2.5 pound hammer I had been hitting the boat with to remove the scale and rust!

Matt

SBA Services have one, which o beleave the obtained 2nd hand from somewhere.

- They use it during boiler tests for doing ultrasound thickness tests on boilers (ours included)

- NOt sure how much they paid for it tho, but i could find out....

Daniel

Hi

You could try Cygnus Instruments who make thickness testers that look very simple to use and can "see" through paint

I didnt use one in the end but Cygnus gave me the number of a company who will hire you one at, I am assured, a very reasonable rate.

In the end I trusted the 2.5 pound hammer I had been hitting the boat with to remove the scale and rust!

Matt

They can't see through paint but the way they work they only measure the type of material they are set up to measure.

You set the velocity to that of the material and it will only see that specific material.

For example we measure plex thickness with them, you can put the lump of plex on say a wooden bench put the probe on the top of the material and it will tell you the thickness of the plex only (very clever)

You either need to know the velocity of your material or have a sample that you can measure the thickness of with a micrometer or something and calibrate the meter to that material.

They are actually also used to measure paint thickness on vehicle panels.

The good thing about the way they work for boaters is that you should be able to check your hull thickness while it is in the water, but obviously you would need to strip the interior out first.