Rust

anthony

Featured Posts

Inside the bottom of my boat where the side and the floor meets it is very rusty and has flaked away in some places.

Having said that the boat got the ok in the Survey but that was from the outside and I dont know if the thickness was tested in this spot.

The boat is sitting in the water and IM a bit scared to stared scraping away excess rust ect.

What can I do other that take it out and overplate from the inside to give it extra protection.

Ill sort a few pictures out so those who know can have a look.

I managed to get the floor up to get to the bottom of te boat to mop up some water that got in from a leak in a window and a failed waste pump.

While doing this i noticed the ballast at the back is pebbles and seems to have mud which i guess is sand which has gone wet could this be hiding something?

The rest of the ballast is broken slabs accept under the bath where is is also pebbles.

Thanks.

Aha, a kindred.

Don't know how to cross-reference posts, but if you see my blog on NB Talpidae and do a topic search for 'rusty bottom' I think you'll find we've got a lot in common.

Have fun,

Mole.

Don't know how to cross-reference posts, but if you see my blog on NB Talpidae and do a topic search for 'rusty bottom' I think you'll find we've got a lot in common.

If you just copy the URL (address) of the page in question from the bar at the top, and then paste it into your message, with the 'htt[://' bit still attached, like this

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...wtopic=2675&hl=

(although i see anthony has found the thread now)

Daniel

While doing this I noticed the ballast at the back is pebbles and seems to have mud which I guess is sand which has gone wet could this be hiding something?

I would be very doubtful about using pebbles as ballast - they leave lots of gaps for dirt and damp to gather and you can't keep them off the baseplate as you can with slabs. Given that you've found rust around the edge of the boat, I'd put money on there being rust under those pebbles. I know it means more work but I think you should bag up the ballast and lay some slabs.

I would be very doubtful about using pebbles as ballast - they leave lots of gaps for dirt and damp to gather and you can't keep them off the baseplate as you can with slabs. Given that you've found rust around the edge of the boat, I'd put money on there being rust under those pebbles. I know it means more work but I think you should bag up the ballast and lay some slabs.

Yes, it's a bit of a bummer, but having looked at the picture you posted with the gravel ballast, I really do think you need to get it out, and replace it with something that's not going to retain water if it does get wet.

But remind me ? This boat already has a fully over-plated bottom, doesn't it ? (I think it was the one where chequer plate was discussed at some length, or have I got confused?).

If the bottom is overplated, is it just the bottom, or has it been overplated on some of the lower hull sides as well ?

Yes, it's a bit of a bummer, but having looked at the picture you posted with the gravel ballast, I really do think you need to get it out, and replace it with something that's not going to retain water if it does get wet.

But remind me ? This boat already has a fully over-plated bottom, doesn't it ? (I think it was the one where chequer plate was discussed at some length, or have I got confused?).

If the bottom is overplated, is it just the bottom, or has it been overplated on some of the lower hull sides as well ?

In the end it was found the boats bottom was still 7 mm thick with no overplating and that the check plate was original.

I will have to get it all out anyway and let it dry :wacko: pain in the ass to say the least.

If anyone who's not got a boat is reading this thread keep your money and buy a new shell you'll save yourself a lot of bloody grief.

Can you do anything to stabilise the rust and prevent further corrosion without scraping any more off? (I've found a very rusty spot inside my gas locker and like Anthony, am a bit worried - a neighbouring boat recently rusted through in this location :wacko: )

Edited by Breals

Can you do anything to stabilise the rust and prevent further corrosion without scraping any more off? (I've found a very rusty spot inside my gas locker and like Anthony, am a bit worried - a neighbouring boat recently rusted through in this location :wacko: )

Does it not just look worse than it really is? I had a similar experience when I lifted the floor of our previous boat. When I did pluck the courage up to scrape it away, the metal was still very much intact underneath. A coat of bitumen made it like new. The areas were brick ballast had been placed were very shiny and showed little rust.

you'd better get all that loose rust out. It isn't doing you any good. just obscuring reality.

a bit like going to the dentist when you've got toothache. whisky only obscures the problem.