Bushes

Smelly

Featured Posts

Right, I'm starting to think this Screwfix hose fitting I've bought isn't BSP...

I've bought some bushes, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2; the 1 1/14 corresponds with the brass fitting's I've already got, but thebush doesn't screw into the hose fitting.

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong...

ID of the hose connector is 2inch

OD of the bush is 1 7/8 inch.

Right, I'm starting to think this Screwfix hose fitting I've bought isn't BSP...

I've bought some bushes, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2; the 1 1/14 corresponds with the brass fitting's I've already got, but thebush doesn't screw into the hose fitting.

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong...

ID of the hose connector is 2inch

OD of the bush is 1 7/8 inch.

Indeed, I think I've tried one of those and although they fit the washing-machine take-offs on traps, they aren't 1.5" BSP.

That's why we went down the Koi-thingy route as per the other thread, this time.

Last time, on this boat, I spent ages in Streethay's spares bin cobbling things together...

PC

Indeed, I think I've tried one of those and although they fit the washing-machine take-offs on traps, they aren't 1.5" BSP.

That's why we went down the Koi-thingy route as per the other thread, this time.

Last time, on this boat, I spent ages in Streethay's spares bin cobbling things together...

PC

The koi thingys should arrive any day now. Just need a trap...

Hi

They should fit IF Screwfix have got their BS EN right, more likely China/India made down to a price and the quality is u/s

This from the Plastic pipe manufactures ASS'

23 June 1999

A suite of five new Euro Norms (ENs) are being introduced to cover plastic soil and waste piping systems, eventually superseding the existing well-known British Standards BS 5254, BS 5255 and BS 4514. Although all of the familiar UK soil and waste pipes and fitting will remain current, including imperial sizes, specifiers need to understand how the new Euro Norms affect their work. The British Plastics Federation (BPF) Pipes Group is issuing a series of seven technical bulletins, outlining all the information needed for a smooth transition from BSs to ENs.

The new ENs cover all of the different types of plastic materials familiar to British specifiers, with, unlike the old British Standards which was system standard, a separate standard for each material:

BS EN 1329-1: covers PVC-U and replaces BS 5255 for MUPVC thick-walled fittings

BS EN 1451-1: covers Polypropylene (PP) fittings and replaces BS 5254

BS EN 1455-1: covers ABS pipes and fittings previously under BS 5255

BS-EN 1519-1: covers Polyethylene(PE) products embraced by BS 5255 (Table 2 Sizes)

BS EN 1566-1: covers PVC-C items and replaces BS 5255 for MUPVC pipe and thin- walled fittings

And this from Pipes group site

In order to minimise confusion, UK manufacturers will continue to mark their products with imperial 1¼, 1½" and 2" sizes, along with the equivalent new size in millimetres from the appropriate EN, although the products themselves will not change.

The new standards also have a provision to allow manufacturers to produce products with different wall thickness for different locations and applications. Specifiers need to be certain that they specify a product with a sufficient wall thickness for their particular application. The BPF bulletin sheets cover this issue in detail.

In the UK, polypropylene systems have always been covered by two different standards, BS 5255 and BS 5254, a throwback to the old imperial copper system sizes. BS 5255 polypropylene systems have not been incorporated in the new ENs but BS 5254 products have been included in BS EN 1451-1 and will continue to be manufactured in this country under the new standards.

The new ENs are being published in tranches, starting in summer 1999 and supersede their British equivalents by June 2001. Until that time, specifiers can continue to use the existing British Standards or the new ENs.

SIZING AND INTERCHANGEABILITY

Current PP products to BS 5254 will continue to be manufactured in the UK but should now

be referred to by the European Standard outside diameter reference as shown right:

Current UK (bore) size ....... BS EN 1455-1 size marking based on O/D

(BS 5255)

32 / 11⁄4 ...................................... 34

40 / 11⁄2 ...................................... .. 41

50 / 2 ........................................ 54

Note 1 Current PP Waste systems conforming to BS 5255 are not included in the European Standard.

Note 2 Current PP Waste system marked as above to BS 5254 the new European standard are fully interchangeable.

Specifiers should note that the other European sizes are not interchangeable with existing British standard products.

Edited by David

As far as I know waste pipe fittings have allways been a finer thread than BSP even back to the old copper stuff, tho I have no idea what thread it is

Edited to add

When I was fitting out my boat I found the easiest way to connect up was a hose fitting on the skin fitting and another on the plastic waste with a short bit of 1 1/2 sanitary hose between, tho if you heat up 1 1/4 waste with a heat gun and open it up with the round ended handle of a tool (trowel hand fork or similar) then push another piece of 1 1/4 pipe inside it, its the right size and sturdy enough to use 1 1/2 hose direclty on it. (if you use this idea use some washing up liquid or silicon grease)

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

I'm pretty sure that Radio-Ga-Ga is right, PP waste fittings just aren't BSP.

Though given your measurements you could try an 1 1/4" -> 2" bush, or even

take the fitting with you & try different bushes till you find one of a suitable

size - If the thread form is near enough then the plastic will give a bit !

springy