Sticky stuff alternatives to Sikaflex

barroca grande

Featured Posts

Hi all

today we are finally going to stick my solar panels down on the roof. However the build has gone on so long that the Sikaflex I was given along with the solar panels has exceeded its 'best before' date of July 2009! I am told that it will be fine but just in case it isn't

is there a good alternative that can be bought over the counter today as backup?

Also the roof currently has antislip paint where the panels will go. I asked whether I should leave this bit smooth but was advised that it would provide a good key. I am now wondering if that is still best advice?

What should I do myself today to prepare the area ready for John to install them this evening. In case he can't make it I don't want to do too much that would leave the steel vulnerable.

Should I just scrub it clean with a scrubbing brush? Or get stuck in with some sand paper?

Thanks

Kath

Hi all

today we are finally going to stick my solar panels down on the roof. However the build has gone on so long that the Sikaflex I was given along with the solar panels has exceeded its 'best before' date of July 2009! I am told that it will be fine but just in case it isn't

is there a good alternative that can be bought over the counter today as backup?

Thanks

Kath

Ask for 'Tiger Seal' in a Motor factors.

If your Sikaflex hasn't been opened, and is still 'squeezable' when you do open it, it should be fine.

Tim

Ask for 'Tiger Seal' in a Motor factors.

If your Sikaflex hasn't been opened, and is still 'squeezable' when you do open it, it should be fine.

Tim

THanks will do.

I hope the sikaflex is still okay but don't want to find out last minute it isn't! With the panels being stuck to metal and the metal getting hot (hopefully) whatever adhesive is used must be flexible I suppose. I wouldn't have thought of a Motor factors though but makes sense.

Im sure it probably fine.

- Sikaflex is just a trade name for one of many polyurethane sealants/adhesives so any other PU sealant would also be fine.

- Tigar seal is a common one, also dow do a load of automotive pu's loads on ebay well, some plumbers might even have some.

For surface prep, i would just make sure its clean and dry and get them stuck on.

The stuff sticks like the proverbial to a blanket in all of my experience with it and the surface area you will have will be massive.

Daniel

Im sure it probably fine.

- Sikaflex is just a trade name for one of many polyurethane sealants/adhesives so any other PU sealant would also be fine.

Aye, Screwfix will have something in stock.

This is one of my favourites for things that need to stay flexy for years...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36933/Sealan...dhesive-Sealant

p44697_l.jpg

PC

Aye, Screwfix will have something in stock.

This is one of my favourites for things that need to stay flexy for years...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36933/Sealan...dhesive-Sealant

p44697_l.jpg

PC

This problem has already been answered - but for information - yesterday one of my friendl colleague/rivals from Epiphanes showed me a product called Saba available from Marnemart. It is a squeezable gloop similar to the others but it sticks like no-ones business and can be painted over immediately after application. I was impressed.

Phil