How to buy a boat?

HayleyD

Featured Posts

Hello all,

having come to the conclusion that there are very few houseboats and narrowboats out there to rent long term, I'm taking the plunge and looking to buy earlier than I'd intended. Apart from the obvious costs like mortgage, mooring fees, and council tax, what other costs will I have to consider?

Hayley

Hello all,

having come to the conclusion that there are very few houseboats and narrowboats out there to rent long term, I'm taking the plunge and looking to buy earlier than I'd intended. Apart from the obvious costs like mortgage, mooring fees, and council tax, what other costs will I have to consider?

Hayley

Boat licence, maintenance(slipping, blacking, painting, engine maintenance etc.etc), insurance, possible generator and fuel, coal/gas/wood/diesel, renewal and replacements of pumps etc. Pump out. Appliance repairs(washer dryer/cooker etc).

There are more, but that should get you started! If you are fitting the boat out, then the list is considerably longer.

Hi Hayley,

we don't live on our boat but try and use it as much a possible but one piece of advice i would offer is look at as many boats as possible and when you make a choice also have a trial cruise. This something we didn't

do and we are quite lucky that we got a good buy but hopefully when i can afford to buy another boat in the future i will be very careful in what i choose.

cheers,

Steve

Hello all,

Hayley

Hi Hayley,

If your looking to buy secondhand - check this website out:-

http://www.apolloduck.com/

Thousands of sellers and other services here. It's where I bought my 62 foot NB from this year.

Happy boating !"

Nige

Thanks for your help all. My budget won't be huge - £35k tops really because I'll be needing to spend quite a lot to moor within commuting distance of central London, whether it be in West London, Surrey, or Oxfordshire at a push. In terms of what I'm looking for, well hopefully I'll know it when I see it! I'll consider anything that's ready to inhabit. So if the boat or houseboat comes attached to a residential mooring then I'll be one happy welsh woman :wacko: I'm looking at a houseboat next week and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it's not sold in the meantime, but if that doesn't come off then my search will continue. I just want to be somewhere where I can launch a kayak from my doorstep, that is my dream. Melodramatic I know but hey ho.

Thanks for your help all. My budget won't be huge - £35k tops really because I'll be needing to spend quite a lot to moor within commuting distance of central London, whether it be in West London, Surrey, or Oxfordshire at a push. In terms of what I'm looking for, well hopefully I'll know it when I see it! I'll consider anything that's ready to inhabit. So if the boat or houseboat comes attached to a residential mooring then I'll be one happy welsh woman :wacko: I'm looking at a houseboat next week and am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it's not sold in the meantime, but if that doesn't come off then my search will continue. I just want to be somewhere where I can launch a kayak from my doorstep, that is my dream. Melodramatic I know but hey ho.

May your dream come true.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Hayley

Hayley,

I'm looking at the mo an it seems that you you need to get the moorings side of things sorted first. canal boats don't really come with moorings. I am a sailor and my boat is on my own mooring close to the sea (Freehold) in an estuary but Canals are different. the boats are cheaper but the moorings scarcer.

Kind regards.