Grout question

Featured Posts

Not wanting to make up a big batch of grout for the quarry tiles that my stove will sit on, I picked up a pot of this stuff:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84313724@N00/4489432086

(tiles also shown)

but I've just read the blurb on the back and it says it's not suitable for matt or unglazed tiles. Any idea why not, and what the consequences would be if I used it anyway?

Thanks.

Not wanting to make up a big batch of grout for the quarry tiles that my stove will sit on, I picked up a pot of this stuff:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84313724@N00/4489432086

(tiles also shown)

but I've just read the blurb on the back and it says it's not suitable for matt or unglazed tiles. Any idea why not, and what the consequences would be if I used it anyway?

Thanks.

Back in them good old days, Quarry tiles used to be grouted in with normal sand and cement, indeed, the same mix as they were fixed down with.

I can't remember ever having then sealed.

Perhaps, if you would prefer to use what you have bought, then maybe a bottle of sealer would be of use.

the grout ma stain otherwise.

Myself, I'd grout them in with sand and cement and wiped them clean as it is setting and buff em up with a cloth when dry.

Nipper

Staining probably.

Even after wiping down with a damp cloth, when the tiles are dry a white stain is left.

How you stop staining on unglazed tiles I have no idea, perhaps you have to seal them first. :lol:

Yup, I'd agree.

Common wisdom on natural stone is to seal before installation, then seal after installation and before grouting.

PC