Rear Hatch Cover

Featured Posts

Our rear hatch cover drips with condensation first thing in the morning - it would do as it is not insulated. Should we just live with it or is there a simple fix?

Some have claimed to fix this by the no more complex expedient of firmly glueing some kind of thick carpet to the underside.

Whether that is even possible may depend on hatch design - I can't see how people can do this, and not prevent the hatch sliding, unless it currently has a distinct gap between hatch underside, and whatever "lip" it needs to slide over at the front of the hatchway.

A wood lining is generally better, but I guess there are not to many cases where any thickness of wood could easily be added, if the original construction of the hatch had not allowed for it.

Some have claimed to fix this by the no more complex expedient of firmly glueing some kind of thick carpet to the underside.

Whether that is even possible may depend on hatch design - I can't see how people can do this, and not prevent the hatch sliding, unless it currently has a distinct gap between hatch underside, and whatever "lip" it needs to slide over at the front of the hatchway.

A wood lining is generally better, but I guess there are not to many cases where any thickness of wood could easily be added, if the original construction of the hatch had not allowed for it.

Thanks for that Alan - I will have a closer look and see if anything can be done.

Thanks for that Alan - I will have a closer look and see if anything can be done.

If you have some depth to work with, I've found that bubble-foil insulation (like this) covered in thin 3.2mm ply works well. Stick the foil in place with evo-stick and then stick the ply to the foil in the same way. The total thickness is certainly less than 10mm.

MP.

Edited for speeling.

Edited by MoominPapa

In my case I used laminate floor underlay (the white expanded foam sheets, also used a lot as packing material so you might find some in a skip!). Glued to underside of hatch, then covered with thin T&G.

If clearance is a problem, you could always take an angle grinder to the top edge of the upstand.

If its been built without provision for some kind of lining though, I have to say that that's pretty poor design :lol:

Rick