Flexible pipe to rads on solid fuel backboiler system

kayak

Featured Posts

Hi all.

This is one of those questions that i think i'll regret asking, but ask i must!

Now i have my new Alde 3010 working heating 2 of my rads I have to pipe up the radiators that i will run of my backboiler. The trouble is that as the pipes come round the boat from the stove and up to the solid fuel radiators the pipes from the 3010 are somewhat in the way. My proposed solution to this (so i dont have any plastic pushfit in the backboiler circuit) was to bring the pipes round as in a normal domestic system but tee off before the locksheild valve and put in one of those steel braided flexible pipes to give me some manoverabillity (spelling?).

The system is going to be pumped but the only braided pipes i can get are 10mm bore. Would this be too restirctive? The rest of the pipes in the sytem are going to be 28mm. I was going to use these as i can get 28 to 15 reducing tees and i thought the bigger bore the better. At the last rad (there are only two) i will go from 28mm to 15 with a reducer then a short length of 15mm copper and then the flexible.

There is a heatsink towel rad on gravity in case of pump failure. My main question is about the suitabillity of these flexible pipes in a solid fuel system.

If it turns out im dangerous, stupid, or both any other ideas are welcome!

Realise ive gone on a bit now!

Cheers.

Kayak.

I am not a current qualified plumber, but used to instal central heating and did watch some CORGI qualified ( allegedly) fitters make some lethal mistakes..

Generally it is stipulated that the pipes connecting to a boiler are in copper until a metre away - this is because in worst case situation, and the boiler manages to fire with no water within, these pipes would get extremely hot as would the boiler itself and melt plastic pipes. I believe that the flexi pipes have some sort of silicon tubing ( or maybe a plastic?) in the centre and then over-braided with wire braiding to contain the pressure. I don't know how the seals at each end are made. However I would definitely not use flexipipes directly on to the boiler unless they were explicitly stated as being acceptable.

You may however want to take a view - in your setup, the header tank and boiler may be the highest items in the circuit if e.g it is only running Finrads... a melt or burst might result in only a litre or two of liquid being deposited on the floor, which might be acceptable. However you also need to consider what the boiler would do if started/running with no cooling water within ( ask manufacturer ?)

Regardless, what would the Insurance Co. think if a fire and claim ensued - would you sleep comfortably or feel happy about leaving the boat with the fire alight ? Don't forget they tend to wriggle out of any and every claim given half an excuse...

Personally, I'd just get the job done as it should be and sleep at night....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I am not a current qualified plumber, but used to instal central heating and did watch some CORGI qualified ( allegedly) fitters make some lethal mistakes..

Generally it is stipulated that the pipes connecting to a boiler are in copper - this is because in worst case situation, and the boiler manages to fire with no water within, these pipes would get extremely hot as would the boiler itself and melt plastic pipes. I believe that the flexi pipes have some sort of silicon tubing ( or maybe a plastic?) in the centre and then over-braided with wire braiding to contain the pressure. I don't know how the seals at each end are made. However I would definitely not use flexipipes directly on to the boiler unless they were explicitly stated as being acceptable.

You may however want to take a view - in your setup, the header tank and boiler may be the highest items in the circuit if e.g it is only running Finrads... a melt or burst might result in only a litre or two of liquid being deposited on the floor, which might be acceptable. However you also need to consider what the boiler would do if started/running with no cooling water within ( ask manufacturer ?)

Regardless, what would the Insurance Co. think if a fire and claim ensued - would you sleep comfortably or feel happy about leaving the boat with the fire alight ? Don't forget they tend to wriggle out of any and every claim given half an excuse...

Personally, I'd just get the job done as it should be and sleep at night....

Nick

Thanks for the reply but i may not have explained myself correctly. I want the flexible pipes to connect the radiators to the pipes, this is a good 25-30 feet from the boiler.

Kayak.

I did read the post again and did wonder how far this connection was to be from the boiler - anyway maybe useful info for others one day ...

I have been using the odd hose/fitting from a company called Hose World ( http://www.hoseworld.com/index.html ) - they may have suitable products for your use - certainly a good selection...

Nick

I probably haven't read the question properly, but it's only your main run that needs to be 28mm. I think the maximum size of pipe you can connect the rads with is 15mm, but because of this restriction (assuming there's no pump in the backboiler system), I think it's a good idea to connect up all available rad connections to the main run, especially for the final rad in the system to make sure it gets hot.

why not use solaflex pipe this is corrogated for ease of bending comes in 15 & 22mm size and is capable of withstanding solar temps up to 200 degrees it is available pre lagged as well if you want

give toby a ring on 01725 513134 or 0800 975 0795 tell him kev at bournemouth solar recommended him he should be able to supply what you need.

kev

why not use solaflex pipe this is corrogated for ease of bending comes in 15 & 22mm size and is capable of withstanding solar temps up to 200 degrees it is available pre lagged as well if you want

give toby a ring on 01725 513134 or 0800 975 0795 tell him kev at bournemouth solar recommended him he should be able to supply what you need.

kev

Many thanks for that. I'll call today.

Never heard of this to be honest. Can you join it with standard plumbing compression fittings?

Kayak.