Visitor moorings near Bath

Bricksh

Featured Posts

I think you are supposed to pay for the moorings at Pulteney Weir. You pay at the Leisure Centre and can use their facilities. If you do not go up there to pay, then you might avoid it, but last time we were there (last Easter), Leisure Centre staff came round for the money early evening. Good luck!

Jo.

youo can also moor outside the boatman pub a little further down. They'll happily let you stay overnight for free if you ring them in advance.

I guess it's changed since 2004 then. We moored there for the evening, and had just ordered food and drink, when the manager advised us that he would expect us to move away by 10.30 pm - when it would be dark - because overninght mooring was "prohibited by the water board" (sic). After a brief discussion we left without eating (or paying for) our meals and continued on up to Bath.

I guess it's changed since 2004 then. We moored there for the evening, and had just ordered food and drink, when the manager advised us that he would expect us to move away by 10.30 pm - when it would be dark - because overninght mooring was "prohibited by the water board" (sic). After a brief discussion we left without eating (or paying for) our meals and continued on up to Bath.

I think I remember you mentioning this before. Perhaps it's changed hands. The food was edible when I visited for the first time in years last summer, so it's quite likely.

Park Road Bridge, Devizes, work has now been cancelled.

There are plenty of 12h, 24h & 72h moorings available as you approch and come into Bath. Bear in mind though that the hire boat season is about to come into full spring. There are 6 hire boat companies that whos boats regularly come to Bath, so at peak times visitor moorings can become full up quite fast.

Just a point on Pulteney Weir. If there has been heavy rain a day or two before, the river can increase in height quite fast and become fast moving. Personnally I would not like to be moored below the weir at these times, and getting in or out of the lock from the K & A onto the Avon can be quite interesting to say the least. There are plenty of moorings from Darlington Wharf down to the river, and there is usually space there plus a couple of winding holes if you change your mind about getting onto the river. Enjoy your time in the area.

Park Road Bridge, Devizes, work has now been cancelled.

There are plenty of 12h, 24h & 72h moorings available as you approch and come into Bath. Bear in mind though that the hire boat season is about to come into full spring. There are 6 hire boat companies that whos boats regularly come to Bath, so at peak times visitor moorings can become full up quite fast.

Just a point on Pulteney Weir. If there has been heavy rain a day or two before, the river can increase in height quite fast and become fast moving. Personnally I would not like to be moored below the weir at these times, and getting in or out of the lock from the K & A onto the Avon can be quite interesting to say the least. There are plenty of moorings from Darlington Wharf down to the river, and there is usually space there plus a couple of winding holes if you change your mind about getting onto the river. Enjoy your time in the area.

Thats made my day great news :lol: . I phoned this morning but at that time they couldn't offer anything different to the advice as it appeared on waterscape. I also e mailed as someone else suggested.

Are there any particular days when the hire fleet operators start their hire weeks/weekends that are best avoided or arriving early on?

Thats made my day great news :lol: . I phoned this morning but at that time they couldn't offer anything different to the advice as it appeared on waterscape. I also e mailed as someone else suggested.

Are there any particular days when the hire fleet operators start their hire weeks/weekends that are best avoided or arriving early on?

Turnarounds seem to normally to be on Saturdays. These make up weekend breaks, 7 & 14 day trips. There are also alot of 'booze cruises', that is the stag & hen weekends. Why do they always seem to dress up as psudo pirates? However, during the season there is always a good showing of hireboaters moving around most of the time and it is good to see the navigation used by all. You will be assured of a friendly welcome from fellow boaters down here, and if you need any advice just ask the ccers. No point imo in trying to avoid a particular day; take it as it comes. Maybe the occassional queue at a lock, but hey ho, whos rushing.

Pulteney Weir can be a bit ditsy & noisey on a Friday & Saturday night as the party goers use the path to get from one side of town to the other. but that is the same in all city centres. Mooring in the Widcombe area is usually available and is quieter and safer. Diesel, pumpout, water etc is available nearby as well together with shops/pubs etc.

It will be busy but chilled out down here! Enjoy.

Turnarounds seem to normally to be on Saturdays. These make up weekend breaks, 7 & 14 day trips. There are also alot of 'booze cruises', that is the stag & hen weekends. Why do they always seem to dress up as psudo pirates? However, during the season there is always a good showing of hireboaters moving around most of the time and it is good to see the navigation used by all. You will be assured of a friendly welcome from fellow boaters down here, and if you need any advice just ask the ccers. No point imo in trying to avoid a particular day; take it as it comes. Maybe the occassional queue at a lock, but hey ho, whos rushing.

Pulteney Weir can be a bit ditsy & noisey on a Friday & Saturday night as the party goers use the path to get from one side of town to the other. but that is the same in all city centres. Mooring in the Widcombe area is usually available and is quieter and safer. Diesel, pumpout, water etc is available nearby as well together with shops/pubs etc.

It will be busy but chilled out down here! Enjoy.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, really looking forward to our trip :lol:

I really don't understand how mooring on rivers works. Specifically the river avon.

On the canal there's always a towpath and an offside. On the river there's just bank that's owned by someone so I never know where I can or can't moor up.

Thats not just specific to the Avon. On the whole with rivers it is wise to find a designated visitor mooring spot, that way you know you are allowed to moor there. Failing that find a nice spot to anchor up for the evening.

I think you are supposed to pay for the moorings at Pulteney Weir. You pay at the Leisure Centre and can use their facilities. If you do not go up there to pay, then you might avoid it, but last time we were there (last Easter), Leisure Centre staff came round for the money early evening. Good luck!

Jo.

You don't have to pay, the Leisure Centre give the impression that a payment is required and is a con on their part.

The first time I moored there I paid the fee thinking I had to. 2nd time I challanged the staff member and he just walked away.

:lol:

You don't have to pay, the Leisure Centre give the impression that a payment is required and is a con on their part.

The first time I moored there I paid the fee thinking I had to. 2nd time I challanged the staff member and he just walked away.

Hmm, perhaps he wasn't really staff. Maybe BW will know if payment is actually required at that spot. I'll be very upset if it's a con, last time I didn't even use the leisure centre facilities at all.

I don't know whether the charge is enforceable or not, but the leisure centre and the moorings belong to BANES (Bath and North East Somerset Council). However Banes have aquaterra leisure managing the leisure centre now so it may be that they can no longer collect the charge

Hmm, perhaps he wasn't really staff. Maybe BW will know if payment is actually required at that spot. I'll be very upset if it's a con, last time I didn't even use the leisure centre facilities at all.

BW are not getting the money. The money goes to the Leisure Centre. They are selling you the facilities of their centre, showers/swimming pool etc.

BW are not getting the money. The money goes to the Leisure Centre. They are selling you the facilities of their centre, showers/swimming pool etc.

Actually, it's just dawned on me, the whole area is part of the Rec' which has seen the mother and father of all bust ups over it's use because some people who live next to it don't like Rugby being played there: among the legal consequences may have been that BANES can or can't charge for moorings.

IMHO the people who object to the rugby are in the same class as those who live next to a canal and object to boats... they could sell up and afford somewhere that didn't have a rugby ground next to them,and the game has been played there for 120 years

I realise BW aren't getting the money. But do Aquaterra Leisure or whoever actually own the short-term mooring rights (there are signs there), collecting fees on behalf of someone else (the rugby club?) or are they just, as you say, renting out their facilities (which I don't want to use).

Either way, I will probably tell them I don't want a shower and try not paying next time...

I realise BW aren't getting the money. But do Aquaterra Leisure or whoever actually own the short-term mooring rights (there are signs there), collecting fees on behalf of someone else (the rugby club?) or are they just, as you say, renting out their facilities (which I don't want to use).

Either way, I will probably tell them I don't want a shower and try not paying next time...

I wouldn't tell em anything. They'll ignore you if you ignore them :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Below Pulteney weir - a simply fabulous mooring spot. If it was a hotel you'd probably have to pay a couple of hundred for a room with such a prestigious view. We stayed for a couple of nights back in 2004 and didn't have to pay.

Dsc02375r.jpg

thanks for everyones help. I am now down on this mooring and it is the most fantastic view. leisure centre did come round earlier asking folk to go to the centre to pay. I didn't personnaly follow their advice :lol: