Tiller Handle Dimensions

Christine

Featured Posts

Following suggestions from members, I thought I would try turning a tiller handle in Ash on my new lathe :lol: .

Anyone able to give me a few dimensions? Dia: 1 1/4" ?? (I've looked on various swindlers sites but no actual lenghts given)

My tiller bar has internal dia: of 1¼" but I believe there are other sizes.

Overall length visible: 9½"

Groove : 4¾" from tiller bar.

Do not know ho much is actually inside tiller bar.

Mine is of this pattern:

ASH-TILLER-HANDLE-FOR-1-1-4-ID-TUBE_180_11BZP.jpg

Edited by bottle

Following suggestions from members, I thought I would try turning a tiller handle in Ash on my new lathe.

Anyone able to give me a few dimensions? Dia: 1 1/4" ?? (I've looked on various swindlers sites but no actual lengths given)

I have to smile.

I feel I understand the 'justification' of the common alternative term for Chandleries, BUT, don't you feel the ground shifting under you, when you are looking to 'acquire' information from them in order to supply goods in opposition?

I wish you well in your overall endeavour, but perhaps some care needs to be taken when referring to other businesses.

Good Luck.

Following suggestions from members, I thought I would try turning a tiller handle in Ash on my new lathe :lol: .

Anyone able to give me a few dimensions? Dia: 1 1/4" ?? (I've looked on various swindlers sites but no actual lenghts given)

To save a lot of unneccasary doubt I would buy one then you have it as a reference

My tiller bar has internal dia: of 1¼" but I believe there are other sizes.

Overall length visible: 9½"

Groove : 4¾" from tiller bar.

Do not know ho much is actually inside tiller bar.

Mine is of this pattern:

ASH-TILLER-HANDLE-FOR-1-1-4-ID-TUBE_180_11BZP.jpg

Just the ticket - thank you.

I'm a sqillion miles from any NB Chandlers, conscia mens nefas, so I can have a go tomorrow. :lol: .

A saw cut seems a good possiblity.

*I am aware that I sinned.

When I was in school I did Design & Technology for one of my GCSE options...

I made my 3 quite remarkable (I think anyway) proper turned ash tiller handles... I got top marks for them. Unfortunately I left them at School when I finished and never managed to get round to going back to collect them. I didn't like school at the best of times so always put off returning for them.

If I had access to a lathe I wouldn't mind having another go at making one.

Whatever happened to member "denboy" who I know used to turn these up, I recall.

I tried to find pictures, but they seem to not be on the web-site where he hosted them at the time.

They seem to have been in

Moley's "piece of wood" thread

and you may find what Moley did interesting ? (Man of many talents!).

Personally whilst you might find plenty of people who fall for some fancy shape, you would be more likely to sell me something fairly conventional, with no "pointy" edges.

They need something that naturally matches your palm, to be comfortable, and I like to be able to tuck a round end into the small of my back, and steer some of the straighter bits "hands free".

That said some of the conventional ones are neither nice shapes, nice wood, nor well made, and it shouldn't be hard to do better than many "swindlers" offerings.

I feel sure you will!

Alan

They need something that naturally matches your palm, to be comfortable, and I like to be able to tuck a round end into the small of my back, and steer some of the straighter bits "hands free".

Alan

So do I. I use a "bumbag" filled with dense foam to lean against the wooden end of the tilller. Only problem is when the bottom's a bit close to the top, the vibration shakes it free from the little hollowed out bit and I have a sudden grabbing session!