Mooring/Marina options - northern part of the system..

Featured Posts

Have you tried Naburn, Boroughbridge or Linton Lock marina?

Boroughbridge looks like it still has the same fundamental problem referred to in my OP as Ripon ie too far from the main system, as does Linton, will have a look at Naburn though - it looks a bit further down the Ouse

I don't think 60 foot would fit - we locked through with a 58 footer, the last three or four locks on the way into Sowerby bridge, we had to split up, we couldn't both fit in although we did try, they had to go in diagonal - it was a very tight squeeze for them. We had to lift fenders quite often, too. Even when we were on our own.

I don't think 60 foot would fit - we locked through with a 58 footer, the last three or four locks on the way into Sowerby bridge, we had to split up, we couldn't both fit in although we did try, they had to go in diagonal - it was a very tight squeeze for them. We had to lift fenders quite often, too. Even when we were on our own.

Doh! When choosing the length of our present boat, we asked one of our seasoned boating friends who owns a 60' narrow boat, whether he'd had any problems with that length on any part of the system, which he claimed to have cruised throughout. No problems he said!

You live and learn don't you? :lol:

Mike

We are 57'6'' and managed fine on the Calder and Hebble.

The moorings at Ferrybridge are visitor only, the nearest moorings to there are at Whitley Bridge - they come up for auction quite often.

They are probably the ones I'm thinking of.

Being breasted up for me meant I was always on the outside (smallest boat!!) so I suppose I never had any issues coming and going, but at one of my old regular moorings it was just how it was so to be there (loved it!!) it was acceptable. Could imagine an inside mooring being a bit more hassle I suppose.

As for being on a linear mooring, I have always prefered them to marinas. Apart from the cost, you get to see everyone going past and in my 20 odd years when I kept a boat on the canal my permenant mooring was always a farm based linear one in the middle of no-where. It's off-side location, on site farmer, and secure parking in the farmyard made it as safe as anywhere and with it being a long way from the nearest town that helped with security too. We had water in the farm yard but no other services (you had to carry it down to the boat in a water container!! but that was never a hassle. I was very happy there with lovely views out of the cabin across the field, instead of a neighbour's boat on the jetty next to me. On the Aire and Calder you have the added attaction of passing commercial traffic. Don't discount them, but go on your gut instinct when viewing; if you're not happy then walk away, you have to leave a lot of money sat there. I was always happy with my mooring from first viewing. The only trouble I had was with a Mink once that took up residence one winter; but a PIR operated alarm soon shifted him!!

I'd have no problem with leaving a boat at Whitley lock, it seemed quiet and rural to me (apart from the main road) .Infact, people do leave their shiny boats on the towpath between here and Tottenham Lock all the time (that's the supposed no-go area where there are currently about 20 boats moored).

I've never seen anyones boat get damaged down there, only a smashed window up in our pound a couple of years ago.

Well maybe I am wrong, but I'm certain the boat was no longer than 58 foot. Perhaps someone else will come along in a minute and say they've managed it.

ETA - you may be ok

calder and hebble lock sizes

Thanks. Excellent advice from Martin of Pennine Waterways. If we venture up the Calder we shall take that advice.

With regard to his pointers on vigilance while operating the locks in a craft of over 58', we use this maxim wherever we go. Already encountered 'hang up' in a narrow lock on the Trent & Mersey. My poor wife was mortified as the stern dropped before I could lower the paddles and fill up cautiously at the other end of the lock. Never moved so fast in my life! :lol:

They are probably the ones I'm thinking of.

Being breasted up for me meant I was always on the outside (smallest boat!!) so I suppose I never had any issues coming and going, but at one of my old regular moorings it was just how it was so to be there (loved it!!) it was acceptable. Could imagine an inside mooring being a bit more hassle I suppose.

As for being on a linear mooring, I have always prefered them to marinas. Apart from the cost, you get to see everyone going past and in my 20 odd years when I kept a boat on the canal my permenant mooring was always a farm based linear one in the middle of no-where. It's off-side location, on site farmer, and secure parking in the farmyard made it as safe as anywhere and with it being a long way from the nearest town that helped with security too. We had water in the farm yard but no other services (you had to carry it down to the boat in a water container!! but that was never a hassle. I was very happy there with lovely views out of the cabin across the field, instead of a neighbour's boat on the jetty next to me. On the Aire and Calder you have the added attaction of passing commercial traffic. Don't discount them, but go on your gut instinct when viewing; if you're not happy then walk away, you have to leave a lot of money sat there. I was always happy with my mooring from first viewing. The only trouble I had was with a Mink once that took up residence one winter; but a PIR operated alarm soon shifted him!!

We've heard they can be quite destructive if they get into the cabin!

OK working to the advice we need to secure a mooring before we source a 55-60 ft boat (by the end of this year) I reckon we need to start thinking about this now. Not sure though how the heck you start if I'm honest. We are not looking residential moorings at this point for now we are looking at a mooring we can reach relatively easily from East Cleveland (Between Saltburn and Whitby) within about 1 1/2 hours.

This is one of the chores of living so far from England's canal system and enjoying boating!!

So how and where do we start looking - and any tips at all appreciated???.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Have you thought about the Driffield Navigation at Hempholme? Lots of moorings, about £500-600 a year, no BW licence needed (apart from when visiting BW waters), and reasonably accessible from Whitby direction along the Scarborough to Hull road. Only problem is crossing the Humber, but it can be done safely, and there are plenty of people that can help with the planning. The Bethels Bridge Boat Club occasionally have trips to various places in the locality over Easter and other long weekends.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Goole yet, which is a fairly nice place (two marinas there), and fairly good access to the M62.

BTW - You don't live that far from a wealth of interesting waterways, just that you didn't know it. I also understand the Tee is a nice river, if a little limiting for a narrowboat.

Cheers,

Mike

ps. DN licence is £25 a year!!! :-)

Edited by mykaskin

BTW - You don't live that far from a wealth of interesting waterways, just that you didn't know it. I also understand the Tee is a nice river, if a little limiting for a narrowboat.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike - well I've heard the Tees described as a lot of things - not sure nice is used that often to be honest, :lol:

but to be fair it's a lot better than it was, a lot of money invested in the barrage in 1995 improved the stretches above up to Stockton/yarm no end by maintianing a 'permanent high tide' - better for wildlife and boaters.

The issue of course is that it is not connected to the main system and boating is very limited.